Tuesday, June 21, 2016

When you make a mistake the whole world knows.

     I belonged to a young married group at a former church.  We had a social outing every now and then.  Once such outing was to a hockey game.  I'd never been to one and thought I would go.  I sat beside a single Christian woman who shall go unnamed.  At one point during the game the crowd was whipped into a frenzy and my friend stood up and shouted, "Get the puck in there!"  The crowd had suddenly gone silent just before she yelled her famous statement.  Many in the crowd looked around towards us where a bunch of Christians were gathered for a social gathering.  She sat down with a very red face even though she hadn't done anything wrong.  We may not have done like she did but we each have had our times when it would have been better to be invisible.  More than once I've heard these words from believers and non-believers alike: "I thought you said you were a Christian?" after I had said or did something that was not aligned with the Christian testimony I should have been sharing.  However, do right and the whole world stays silent.  Why is that?  I would suspect that people expect what is right and are surprised with whatever it is that we've done wrong. 
     There are so many Biblical characters who have done wrong and been noticed.  Not many, in fact, exist that didn't do something wrong, made a mistake or just didn't act like they were supposed to.  Many in the Bible have broken all 10 of the commandments or thought about breaking them.  Many here in my circle break the 10 commandments as well.  Maybe not all of them but I'm in good company.  When we turn to the Bible there is clarity in this verse: "If you know what to do is right and don't do it, you sin." James 4:17.  Why shouldn't the world take note when we do wrong?  The expectation of how we should live is out there floating in front of everyone thanks to different media venues.  They are out there even quicker when a Christian misbehaves, sins, or whatever you would like to term it.  The plumb line is set with the model of living we should have being what Jesus demonstrated to his disciples.  You, if you are a believer, are one of his disciples.  It's not a calling.  It's who you become if you truly follow Jesus and do what he wants you to do.  Other people's lives depend on us doing what Jesus would do. 
     The idea that you or I could live even one day in a state of perfectness is crazy.  We are a fallen people who are in need of the love of God just to take a breath of air each day.  God knows we are a fallen people and doesn't expect us to be perfect.  He doesn't want us to be complacent with being imperfect as well.  That's why the process of sanctification is necessary in each believers lives.  Sanctification is learning from my mistakes and allowing yet another part of the old man in me die so Jesus can live in that area of my life.  It's a job that won't be finished here on earth.  When I get to heaven it won't matter.  The job will be done.  Sometimes the mistakes work for good to those who love him and are called according to His purpose.  Sometimes it's the failures that we go through that remind believer and non alike that we are just as human as they are.  I will fail.  It's not a matter of question.  You will too.  What we do with the mistakes we make makes the big difference.  If we admit the mistake, change our ways, and move forward then we are doing that which Jesus wants us to do.  It's all a matter of you and I making the choice of Jesus or self.  It's our choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment