Thursday, June 9, 2016

1984 and other warnings

     We tend to brush aside warnings that come across the various mediums of communication.  George Orwell foretold of the world where Big Brother ruled and history changed with the whims of those who were in control.  I would have said "in charge" but the book clearly depicts a people who were controlled in pretty much every facet of their lives.  Along with you, I would like to sit comfortably in my recliner and believe that everything is okay and that people have my best interests at heart with decisions they make.  Along with you, I'd like to think that "they" know what's good and profitable for mankind.  Along with you, I'd like to believe their promises of a turkey on every table at Thanksgiving.  Okay, reality check, none of these are reality.  Everything is not okay.  People don't have my best interests at heart.  "They" don't have knowledge of the individual me and thus can't possibly have my best interests at heart.  Nor do they have any idea of what's best for the world and who has to sacrifice in order to make their beliefs, actions and laws work for all of mankind.  Oh, and there will not be a turkey on every table at Thanksgiving this year or any year to come.  The signs of the times point in quite a different direction.  Warnings are there if we will see them.  Warnings are visible to all through the media, through people's lives and through the prophecies of the Bible and the failure of systems within our world. 
     Working as a gardener in California I was always out in and amongst nature.  I listened to the weather on the nightly news but didn't rely on weather people to give me the truth or accurate prediction.  I knew there was a better way.  When I went to work I would look at the gopher holes.  If they were open there would be no rain.  If those same holes were plugged I could bet it was going to rain sometime soon.  Gophers were never wrong.  I wish I could say the same for the weather people. I don't need my car to start sputtering to tell me that I'm running out of gas any more than the refrigerator to tell me I'm running out of food.  Simple observation of the gas gauge and the refrigerator is enough to convince me to listen to the message and to take care of both!   The same goes for when I run out of underwear.  Time to go and do laundry!  You get the picture.  We see things, read things, and hear things all the time.  We know that the world has a god that wants us to be deceived.  Satan loves to laugh at our folly.  So, when we run out of gas, food or underwear he is there to laugh at us for trusting something other than the signs and warnings.  When my child lies to me it's a warning that something is wrong.  When my boss suggests the company is going in a different direction there is a warning to me.  Whenever something goes on out of the ordinary we need to question as to why rather than ignore out of the different day, same stuff mentality.
     Complacency is one of the culprits of our doing nothing about everything.  Complacency is that state where we are satisfied with the status quo whatever that might be for you.  It's the homeless who are content to be where and what they are.  It's the CEO that's content to take enormous salaries but has no relationship with his children, wife and family. It's the Christian who maybe goes to church on Sunday but doesn't live the Christian life the rest of the week.  It's you and I not doing anything out of our comfort zone and watching family, friends and enemies alike trudge on to an eternity in hell...all because of our complacency.  We don't want to see the warning signs.  If we saw them we might be expected to do something.  If we did something our status quo would be upset.  If our status quo was upset what would people think, say and do?  Would we, like so many Christians around the world, be imprisoned for our faith if we expressed that faith?  Would we, like so many Christians around the world put our lives on the line if we knew we might very well be killed for our faith?  Complacency is what takes us to destruction.  That's both a corporate and a personal element that you and I can do something about.  We need to do SOMETHING!  The warnings are there.  What is going to be your choice today?  Remember, it's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment