Sunday, June 12, 2016

What do I REALLY believe and why?

     Sometimes it's easier to state what we don't believe rather than what we do believe.  When we are having those times on the mountain tops beliefs are easier to stand on and exercise.  It's when we are in the valley's of life that our beliefs are tested and we discover what we really believe.  Our language betrays our position on believing.  When I find myself saying, "God will..." it's belief in him.  When I find myself saying, "I will..." it's belief in me talking.  It's still believing but one is believing in God and one is not.  You can guess which is which.  My life has been speckled with belief in me more than God.  Maybe you can identify with that in your life.  And so the question is begged of why do I have two belief systems?  Why is there this fluctuation in my life that gives me this split personality?  Is it so important that I have identity in me that I compromise my identity in Christ?  The why is not easily answered but really comes down to the fact that all of us in one way or another want to be the god of our own world.  We aren't a people to submit and devote ourselves to God.  We don't trust Him.  We have faith in what we can see, feel and hear with our own being.  That's not to say that this is good or that God doesn't work in lives today.  He is wanting us to get out of the way and let him do what he does...love us. 
     I can tell you that I believe in the Trinity, Jesus Christ, the Bible and all of those other recitable things we teach our children to believe in.  Preachers do it every Sunday or whenever they worship with their congregations.  I can tell you of the miracles and other ways God has provided for me and those I love over the 40+ years I've been a Christian.  So can a lot of other people you may know or have experienced yourself.  Does that really mean I believe?  Does it mean you really believe?  Sporadic belief is still belief just as situational belief is still believing.  Then why don't we find ourselves transformed by the evidence that God has presented for why we should believe in Him?  Because we want more.  The story is told of a man hiking a narrow mountain path in the fog when he slips over the edge.  On his way down he grabs a small tree growing out of the cliff side. He begins to yell for help. God answers him and says "Let go."  The man asks who is talking to him and God identifies himself and again says "Let go."  The man begins yelling, "Is there anyone else out there?"  Believing the invisible God is difficult for the unbeliever and sometimes impossible.  The believer should be able to believe in God and trust that God is orchestrating their lives.  So, why do we choose to believe in God only at dramatic points in our lives? 
     The simple answer is that we are a fallen creation.  The complex answer is we are self consumed and self centered and self driven.  "You can do it!"  No, you can't.  It may seem that you have done this or that, said this or that or even brought about this or that about.  But, if you are truthful, it's been God working through you (unless it's sin).  If we choose to call ourselves believers then we must believe.  Belief in God is a total belief.  Should we choose to believe in God situationally, then we are situational Christians and there is no reason why anyone should be attracted to Jesus through the example of our lives.  You may be thinking then who really believes?  Can we believe in God and yet not believe in God.  Yes, we can and do.  Is it right?  No, it's not.  What is the result of dual beliefs?    We miss out on the blessings of God and settle for less.  That's the point!  Why settle for less?  Why be self deceived (you only have to convince one person) and miss the blessings of God?  Because it's your and my choice.  Practice believing in God and put to death the old man who wants to be the god of your world.  It's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment