Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Advice for those who are weak like me.

     It never dawned on me that I was weak.  I cannot say with any belief at all that I was, am or ever will be a weak person...at least physically.  Mentally, spiritually and psychologically there are many situations that prove I'm anything but strong or resolved.  When I look at myself in the mirror I see a physically strong (though somewhat fat) man who has worked hard all his life.  But when I look in the eyes I see the faltering of spirit, the weakness of resolve and the questioning of my intentions.  Do you ever feel that way?  I can't say that I like this about myself as I don't like it at all.  I was raised in the era when men were men and if you were weak, you weren't a man.  There seems to be rites of passage for physical prowess.  Look to any sport and you will find marks of bronze, silver and gold.  Men and women are measured by what they can do physically even if they are incapable of much else on the inside.  Paul was an incredible example of both sides of the coin.  He was all that a Roman Jew could be and more.  He was fluent in languages, travelled to persecute the Christians, kill and imprison them with the intention of eradicating them.  Yet, he was prone to remembering that his sin, like that of King David, was ever before him even if God had forgiven it.  Physically, psychologically, emotionally and spiritually Paul, David, Peter and many others were not perfect.
     There are several tactics we can take to combat and overcome our weaknesses.  First, we can acknowledge them, expose them, and take away their power over us.  Many have weaknesses tied to secrets they feel they must keep.  As long as the secret is kept, the secret has the power.  Once told the secret loses it's power.  Second, we can confess the failures we have had knowing that we will fail again.  At least the past failures can be put away with the full knowledge that God "will remember them no more."  Accepting the forgiveness of God releases the power of failure over ourselves.  Third, we can forgive others and stop holding grudges, keeping score, or keeping up with whomever.  Forgiving others releases that energy best reserved to do the will of God.  Forgiving someone doesn't mean they are right; nor does it mean you were wrong.  Forgiving lets go of whatever hold that incident, word, or action has had on you for who knows how long.  Fourth, we can proclaim victory over the devil and his angels in Jesus' name.  In so doing the shackles of guilt and the burden of regret can begin to fall away from our ankles and release us to move forward.  That's what we really need and want anyway.
     It's not enough to take these 4 steps only once.  We must take them every day and sometimes many times a day in order to break the hold that has keep us weak.  In "my weakness Christ is strong."  Do you believe that?  It's what the Scripture says but do you really believe that?  Do you believe that he can take your weaknesses and work them for His good?  That's what our lives are all about.  It's not about lifting 600 pounds or being able to quote Scripture day and night.  It's not about the degree you hold or the designation of your title at work.  It's not about the house you live in, the person you are married to, the children you have or anything else in life that you are holding onto.  It's about Jesus and him glorified through ALL of your and my life.  I can't put away the weaknesses.  God can.  I cannot make up for the damage my choices have caused.  God can.  I cannot bring anyone to salvation through Jesus.  God can.  I can't even speak words of wisdom without the blessing of God, the anointing of the Holy Spirit and the salvation afforded to me by the atoning work of Jesus.  I can choose to die to me.  That's about it.  You can to.

No comments:

Post a Comment