Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Tell me the truth I want to hear.

     Truth is elusive for many unless you are referring to their truth.  My understanding of truth and yours may very well differ.  Certainly the advent of interpretation for personal gain has colored the elements of truth in our society.  Truth has been redefined for personal gain, manipulation and of course as a front for organized denominations.  The truth will set you free is what the Bible says.  The truth spoken in love will heal a broken heart the Bible says.  The truth is offensive to those who are perishing the Bible says.  What is truth? That's what mankind has been asking for time eternal.  Truth can be and should be a hallmark of a Christians life.  Speaking the truth in love works to save a soul from hell.  The power of truth is incredible.  Altered definitions of truth are also powerful.  Surely you will not die?  Yep, Satan uses truth and Scriptural truth to lead you and I astray.  Truth then is an element of our lives that has a very heavy weight in what it produces.  What we do with the truth has eternal consequences.  To pretend that it doesn't affect our lives and the lives of those we love is being naïve.  Whether we recognize truth when we hear it, God does.  He also recognizes lies.
     I've been lied to many times in my life.  I imagine you have as well.  Some are innocent lies intended to enhance our surprise birthday party.  Others are to devastate us and those we love.  Lies come from our enemies and our most intimate relationships.  We expect it from our enemies and aren't even offended when it happens.  However, it's when those closest to us lie to us that our trust in their truth takes a hit.  With each lie the truth erodes as to who they are and what they think, say and do.  Professing themselves to be wise they proved themselves to be fools.  Our lies catch us even if people don't.  I've lied to many in my lifetime.  How do you now know whether or not I'm speaking the truth?  It's not only a good question; it's an essential question.  Whether or not we are a new creation is dependent upon our being consistent in the truth that is His and not ours.  Thinking, saying and doing what Christ says we should will be a safe way to go.  Thinking we can alter the truth that Christ gives us is not good for anyone.  An enemy may hate me for telling the truth but a Christian will love the one who brings truth to the table. 
     We've seen a redefinition of "truth" by the world.  The further away from God, the more dysfunctional and wrong that definition is.  Truth defined for personal gain is destructive and meant to serve self.  James tells us that the truth is we ask and receive not because we ask for personal gain.  The truth is we ask God for this or that according to our rules (our truth) and not by Scripture.  I've done that.  Like noticing that my gas gauge shows empty and I slow down and obey the laws so that God will get me to a gas station.  See how obedient I am God?  I am obeying the laws of the land so you need to bless me by getting me to the gas station.  No, it doesn't work that way.  The truth is that if we love God that he loves us.  Out of his love truth and only truth is spoken.  That's even when it's a difficult thing for us to hear.  Rationalizing and justifying our way through life is just a means to elevate "our truth" over that of the truth of God.  Pretending this isn't so won't make it any less truthful.  God would have us be THE truth to the world.  THE truth is Jesus in and through us.  "Truly, truly I say unto you"  In truth I say unto you.  Read the word.  The word speaks the truth and lays out how we should live.  There should be no falsehood in us.  Only truth.  Tell me the truth I want to hear is the cry of the world.   Tell me the truth You want me to hear is the cry I need to have with Jesus.  Truth sets us free.  You choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment