Saturday, April 16, 2016

Can God create a rock so big he cannot life?

     And other unanswerable questions we ask.  No matter how you answer the questions you cause a dilemma.  It's like if you are asked: "Have you stopped beating your wife (husband)?"  A yes and a no answer will pin you in a corner that you probably don't deserve.  Sometimes when people ask me about my faith and my Christian life I feel the same way.  The purpose of the question is to cause me to feel backed into a corner where no answer is adequate or sometimes even right.  I know we need to be ready in season and out to give an account of the hope that is within us.  That's what the Bible says.  It also says we shouldn't cast our pearls before swine.  If I enter into a conversation where this lose/lose element is present, there is no way anyone will win.  The win comes by not taking the bait.  In our medical and mental health system (worldwide) we are continually battered by those who seek to treat the symptom rather than the cause.  Why?  Because it's easier to put a band aide on a cut than to stitch up the wound.  What happened to choosing the higher ground, the road less travelled, the right thing to do?  Have we become so immersed in "good enough" to be numb to the "not good enough" of our world?  I once went to a pastors conference.  I'm not like everybody and live my life that way.  I would introduce myself to a new face and after exchanging names and where we were pastors I would ask the awkward question: "Have you given your life to Jesus?"  Most of the answers were: "I'm a pastor!"  Didn't answer the question and I would repeat it.  Eventually I learned whether or not they were a Christian.  They would also know that a title like Pastor didn't mean they were saved.  It was amazing to find some who didn't confess Jesus as Lord. 
     We are admonished to avoid the fool and to not enter into his folly.  That would include answering the questions meant to incite or create chaos where there was no need.  Most of those asking me questions in the Christian realm that are inciting or meant to create chaos come from those who are fearful and hesitant to go further in fear of being found out.  While a mental health counselor I was asked by an instructor of a class I was taking what it was that I looked for in my treatment of people.  I told him that I always look for and focus on the pain.  When you find the pain you find the cause and no longer treat the symptoms.  That requires asking and being asked the honest but difficult questions.  Some have broken down crying when the pain was touched.  Others became angry and expressed anger for the first time in an open manner.  The pain is there.  I have pain.  When my pain is touched my response is anywhere between crying and rage.  But, you say, you are a Christian.  Yes, I am.  That doesn't make the pain go away as if all I have to do is say the secret mantra.  There is no secret mantra.  All there is  for us to do is call upon Jesus. 
     We can skip the unanswerable questions and go straight to the pain.  Do you need Jesus?  Yes, you have pain, we all do.  Do you want Jesus?  Yes, he is the only one who can treat the cause.  Will you call on Jesus?  Only if you are tired of treating the symptoms.  So, what is your impossible question?  Do you think you have sinned too much?  Do you think you have been a terrible person?  Perhaps you find yourself in the quandary of not needing anyone?  The answer is Jesus.  The question is whether you want peace and love in your life.  The question is not whether you want to avoid hell by embracing heaven.  Those are side issues.  The pain is your heart without Jesus.  Remember as you finish reading this today that only Jesus can move that big boulder you have created for him to life.  He can and will do it.  It is always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment