Monday, April 25, 2016

Christians shouldn't have to put up with Murphy's Law.

     There are many axioms with Murphy's Law and none of them have a positive context.  That is unless you like misfortune and events that take your eyes off the main focus.  Living your life waiting for the other foot to drop means you are living life on the defensive instead of the offensive.  When playing any game (sometimes life feels like a game) it's always better to be on the offensive leading the game than to be on the defensive trying to figure out the other person's game.  It's no different in the Christian life and world.  We have the choice to play offense or defense.  One is positive and leads to peace and contentment and the other doesn't.  Sounds really simple when I type these words.  I know from personal experience my own choices have lead me to live life on the defensive more than not.  Don't get me wrong, I know there is a game and know when and where to play the game.  I've been both good and bad at playing the game.  So have you.  We all make mistakes, color outside of the lines and even sin (gasp!).  Life is basically made up of choices where we either surrender our life to God and live life on the offensive, or we try to run our lives ourselves and live life on the defensive (even when we think we are living on the offensive).  Doesn't make sense when you consider that we are intelligent human beings capable of so much.  Yet, living life in the past (defensive) is the choice of so many including me.  Living life in the present and future is living life on the offense. 
     Murphy causes us to live life on the defensive.  When our thoughts and actions are consumed and directed by the events and programming of the past, we are incapable of living in the present or the future.  For instance, I planted my garden in the last few weeks.  The anticipation of the plants poking through the soil is only surpassed by them growing when in turn the reward of their doing everything is realized and I can reap the rewards of all that I didn't do.  Okay, I planted the garden, watered, and harvested the crop. Other than that I didn't do anything.  If I lived life by Murphy's Law there would be dread in my world  thinking the worst that could happen.  The catastrophic events that hadn't happen would weigh on my mind day in and day out.  "What if...?" would be the byline in my life.  So consumed with that which hadn't happened and probably wouldn't happen the joy would be sucked out of my life.  That's no different in going to work, being in a relationship or even believing God can't love me because I am such a sinner in need of punishment.  Does anyone hear the toilet being flushed?  Being so consumed or fatalistic leads us to expect the worst instead of the best.  It also causes us to give up and believe the lie that we can't possibly be loved or that God could possibly forgive us of our sins.  We would do well to quell those thoughts but we have been programmed by family, friends, church people, and the world.  So, why do we buy into the lie?
     Because it's easier than exercising faith.  That's pretty simple.  We are okay with all that goes right but when things don't seem to be headed down the high road we relinquish the territory to the low road.  It's similar to when we consider our Christian journey.  The road is narrow for those who are going towards their home in heaven.  The road is wide for those who are on the road to destruction.  Knowing which road you are travelling on can answer that question of whether or not you have Christ in charge or if you are in charge.  Like going to a garage to have your car "noise" fixed; many exchange parts randomly until they find the right one.  All the time they are just eliminating that which didn't work instead of analyzing, defining, and identifying the real cause/problem and then fixing that.  When will we choose to let God REALLY be the author and finisher of our faith?  He's way better than living with Murphy.  Make the right choice.  It's yours to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment