Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Last time I checked I wasn't God

     Though I sometimes do act that way, I know that I am not God.  I choose to be the god of my world when I don't let God do the choosing.  Perhaps you do as well.  Since we are all sinners, we are all guilty of playing god in our own lives as well.  It might be something small or something large; but playing god we will.  For instance, I know that God wants me to forgive those who have wronged me.  The word says that if I don't forgive then I won't be forgiven.  Hmmm...  I know that God wants me to care for the orphans and widows (our fellow mankind).  Hmmm...  I know that God wants me to think well of those around me who act like idiots and fools.  Hmmm...  There are the ten commandments and all kinds of exhortation to let God be God in our lives.  Partnered with God being God is the rewards for doing nothing.  What!?  Yes, nothing.  If I do nothing but let God have his way and Christ lives within me, then it's God doing whatever and not me.  All I have to do is nothing.  Well, that's not completely true.  I do need to listen.  I have a hard time listening not only to God but to others as well.  Thus professing myself to be wise I've made myself out to be a fool more than once.  So, why is it that I think I can be god of my world?
     It's ingrained in our thinking.  We are taught one word that steers the whole ship of our lives.  What is that word?  "I"  That's the word that comes before "I AM" The difference is that we are not God and cannot claim to be.  Yet, there have already been so many I's in this blog that it's difficult to get away from the habit.  There is the second problem.  We have an ingrained habit of using "I" along with "will" and neglect the greater "I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me."  There is no room for the third part of the equation.  That would be "self".  We have the habit of listening to our selves, choosing what we want, and doing whatever without allowing God to provide a "more excellent way".  Try this; for the rest of today try to not use the "I" in a "habit" when dealing with "self".  It's a lot more difficult than you might think.  In so doing, we will find that when we are taken out of the equation God is then able to speak, be and work through us to effect his mission of bringing salvation to all mankind. 
     Distraction by the world around us is also a culprit in our daily existence.  I seldom watch TV.  I don't particularly care for what is on TV except for soccer.  Well maybe a home improvement or DIY show.  Then of course there are the documentaries and so much more.  Yet, I still limit my viewing because God can use my attention and time in a more beneficial way.  I don't go to sporting events primarily because I cannot afford the tickets, parking and whatever.  If I can't afford tickets then I shouldn't go.  If I can afford tickets am I selfish and not affording something for God?  Depends on your an my state of heart.  God doesn't want us to eliminate all the pleasure of our world.  He wants to be primary in the pleasure of all our world.  That's the reason he has set up the hierarchy as he has.  There is work and there is play.  There is sacrifice and there is indulgence.  There is separation from the world and there is attachment to God.  There is heaven for some and for some there is hell.  It's just a matter of choice.  When we choose to be god there is no room for God.  Last time I checked I wasn't God.  I AM was.

No comments:

Post a Comment