Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Well, well, well...now that's a deep subject!

     After you are done groaning please get serious and read on.  Wells are significant in the Bible.  From Genesis to Revelation wells have had both negative and positive connotations.  From the wells dug for the much needed water for animals and humans alike to the well spring of living water that is Jesus, wells have been there to provide lessons and to give life.  Life is what is common through all the references in the Bible when we look at wells.  Wells provided water to man and animal, fellowship amongst people, and unification of cause with life's challenges.  Today wells are foreign to many.  Cities don't have wells.  The hand dug wells on the farms have been replaced with one dug by machine and operated by electricity instead of wind.  Where once people had to haul water into their homes, now water flows out of taps with little thought on the part of the operator.  Many missionary organizations travel to other parts of the world to dig wells so that the people there are able to have water.  Water is what comes from the well.  In the Bible and in our dreams water signifies life. 
     Welling up inside of me are feelings that sometimes are beyond my understanding or any explanation.  The Holy Spirit welling up inside of me alerts me to where I'm to be, what I'm to think, what I'm to say and how I'm to act.  The source of the spiritual well is Jesus.  He is the living water that brings life.  Water is what destroyed mankind through the flood, the Egyptians through the sea, and the old man in me through water baptism.  It is in the washing of our souls by the water that we are clean and able to be used by Jesus.  That welling up of the Spirit within me is evidence that Jesus is living within me.  Should you not feel the welling up of the Spirit you may need to check out your well and see if it's empty or not.  Perhaps you have tapped into the well of a religion or cult that isn't Jesus.  There can be no welling up of the Spirit in those who don't have the Spirit of God within them. 
     The well in our lives isn't there just for the water it contains.  The well is a place of captivity.  Joseph was thrown into the well by his brothers.  Sold to the Egyptians and years later God reveals why Joseph's well experience was necessary to save a nation.  Daniel was thrown into the "well" of the lions den.  Though others thought he would be lunch, he didn't dwell (sorry) on that part of the picture.  His God took what was intended to be bad and created good which glorified God.  What kind of well have you been dumped into?  Were you raised in a time and place with people who didn't love you much less love God?  Was your well deep and without escape?  I've been there and felt that way.  At the time the well didn't seem to be anything remotely like positive.  Looking back I can see the hand of God taking me through the well experience so that in the end I could be "all things to all people".  I could associate with others who were still captive and my testimony was recognized as one who had been there.  The "well spring" of Jesus can be a powerful metaphor.  Think about it; you are in a well and it's dry.  No water.  Suddenly water begins to enter the well and raise you upward.  You reach the opening and are free by the well spring of water.  That's exactly what Jesus does for us! 
     When I approach the kitchen sink I see the faucet and know it's attached to water lines that are connected to the system which brings water from the well in my yard.  When I turn on the faucet water comes out.  When I do the same for the well spring of Jesus, he is manifested in my life.  Allowing the Holy Spirit to turn on the faucet when the water of life is needed for someone else demands I first be connected to Jesus.  Without the water and the blood there is no salvation for you or I.  Living water flows from the well of Jesus through those who call him Savior.  Wells are such an interesting subject.  Wouldn't you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment