Friday, November 27, 2015

Turkey hangover blues!

     The feast was grand by even an elite standard.  Taste was "over the top" and quantity was "beyond imagination."  Company was plentiful and pleasant.  Christ was honored and thanked not only for the meal but also that for which we probably don't say "Thank you Jesus." enough.  The cooking smells went throughout the house so no matter where you sat that smell saturated your being as well as your clothing.  All in all the day was wonderful.  I hope your Thanksgiving was as well.  I say that knowing that many of you did not have this kind of Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving.  Many spent Thanksgiving in nursing homes not being visited yet another holiday by "loved ones."  There were those who dreaded the trip to, the company of and the pain from remembrances that no one could be thankful for.  The homeless, who most likely don't read this blog, ate another meal at the shelter or somewhere else that served up hot Thanksgiving dinner.  Many of the homeless were out in the elements and took whatever they could find for nourishment. 
      Yesterday morning when I awoke in warm bed the temperature outside was 21 degrees.  Chilly to say the least.  While living in Chicago (Foster and Kedzie) in the late 1980's and going to school, I had opportunity to work in a shelter working with the homeless.   Among the instructions when being oriented by staff was the factual law/rule in Chicago that NO shelter was to open it's doors  until the temperature reached 15 degrees.  Until that time everyone outside stayed outside.  Having grown up in North Dakota I knew what 15 degrees felt like. My empathy for those homeless men, women and children multiplied when I learned the truth.  Serving bologna sandwiches and juice to the men as they piled inside I saw thankful hearts and souls.  Not the kind of thankfulness I have described above.  No, this thankfulness was a desperate thankfulness.  There were only so many beds.  When they were filled those waiting outside were turned away.  Where would they go?  Maybe another shelter.  Most likely to another location on the street where they could survive another night in the cold. 
     So, today I will continue to pray for and seek to help those who are in need.  Not the Black Friday shoppers.  Not those who refuse to see the plight of their fellowman.  Jesus said, "Even as you do this to the least of these, you do it unto me."  and again, "Give to those who are in need as I give to you."  (Neither is an exact quote.)  The turkey hangover blues are connected with how blessed I am, have been and will be tomorrow.  Will I take my blessings and share through out the year?  Will I have this connection only on holidays?  What is my response?  Am I proactive or reactive?  Do I have the attitude and action every day or do the impulses only come when I feel guilty for having so much?  I don't know the answers to these questions but do know them for myself.  Being a Christian calls us to a proactive life.  It may even mean denial of self for the blessing of someone else.  Am I, like so many in the Bible able to say, "Here I am Lord.  Send me.  I will go."  I hope so every day. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment