Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Christian wishy washy

     CWW is a new diagnosis for those who really see Christianity as a convenient means to appear ready for God to use but have no intention of doing anything that would be seen as upsetting to their world.  Most of us have played this card at one time or another in our lives.  Missing that moment when he Holy Spirit directed us to say a word, act in kindness, confront a fellow believer, and the list goes on.  When we are caught (that's when we act like we change) we are contrite but not because we have betrayed Jesus.  We are contrite because we got caught.  Notice that I didn't use the word repentance.  Repentance is foreign to the CWW diagnosis.  There may be confession and even a pledge to do this or that in order to be more Christ like.  However, repentance means a change of being and that's more than most wish to commit to.  For the wishy washy life needs to be good without any inconvenience on themselves or those they know.  For that reason the Bible isn't applicable because it offends so  many.  They may read the Bible but have on tinted glasses so that they see only what they want to see. 
     The only thing worse than someone going to hell is the fact that you and I let them not only make that decision but let them take their family and friends with them.  What am I going to say to Jesus when we watch our friends, family and even our enemies being turned away from heaven and walking off to the lake of fire?  The CWW person is not able to handle thoughts like this so they say, "Well, I don't believe in a God who would send people to hell."  Neither do I.  The choice to go to hell is on the person.  It's their choice.  You and I had that choice.  We chose Jesus and are going to spend eternity in heaven without so many that we could have brought along...if we weren't wishy washy.  Think about it, YOU and I are the conduit to the world of the saving grace of Jesus Christ.  It is YOU and I who claim to be believers to share the good news in words and actions.  The ramifications of whether we do our job or not is devastating when we think about what we have and have not done when we could have done it.  We haven't even taken a stand in our own sanctification process.  Where is the surrender?
     Just so we are very clear, I am wishy washy from time to time.  So are you.  We allow the CWW people around us to direct our lives so that we don't offend them or someone else.  Our willingness to be spontaneous to the direction of the Holy Spirit is squelched by their (and our) desire to not be offensive.  Our tolerance has taken us to a  place of ineffectiveness as never seen in the history of mankind.  We are so careful to not offend anyone that we are in a place of continually offending the very God who saved our souls.  I don't like it when I am wishy washy.  I don't like it when others are as well.  I'm not embarrassed by Jesus and shouldn't be embarrassed by my representation of him to the world around me.  What people think shouldn't even register.  What Jesus thinks should be the guiding principle of my life.  Just for today I will once again choose to put Christ first in my life and the lives of those around me.  What will you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment