Thursday, November 5, 2015

Taking the test and then standing the test.

     I don't like tests...of any kind.  Period.  I never have and probably never will like tests much less love them.  Perhaps you feel the same way?  I know that being evaluated isn't one of my favorite activities.  It's understandable that we want to measure the success of our tasks.  It's even understandable to want to improve our success.  But, does it really take a test to determine the success?  Sometimes it's standing up to the test that is what is most important.  I can tell someone that I have accomplished this or that.  You can too.  However, placed in the position where our claim is put to the test is a different dilemma.  We can say we are good at this or that and usually do so during interviews, dating, and even our Christian walk.  Putting ourselves to the test, standing the test, will bring about the truth.  As we know, the truth will set us free.  We can say anything we want about ourselves, our accomplishments or even our potential.  If we cannot stand the test of time we certainly shouldn't be taking the test in the first place. 
     Tests evoke evaluations of all sorts.  Evaluations based on certain criteria that somehow has become the standard in our world.  Evaluations are used to determine our weaknesses and strengths.  Some of us have both and seem to do just fine.  Others see the evaluation of a weakness and cannot get past that trauma to see the strengths.  Still others concentrate on the strengths and ignore the rest.  Each has a part of the truth and a lot of the lie that we can do life on our own.  For the believer there is no test.  For the believer there is a need to stand the test.  The initial test was passed as we realized we have failed and brought our failure to Jesus.  Jesus took the test for us and now we only need to stand the test.  The Bible exhorts us to do just that.  Stand.  Not sit or fall down; but stand firm in the Lord.  Paul states with great power "it is no longer I who live but Christ who lives within me."  The test taker has come to reside in the believer.  We determine whether we want Christ to be our test taker and stand the test for us or not. 
     I read a book on test taking quite a few years ago.  It was quite helpful and served me well in my college days.  The biggest help came with questions that state or ask absolute answers.  Words like "always" and "never" were keys that this wasn't true or wasn't the answer.  I learned that I could write essay answers and just keep writing until something made sense and I would at least get partial credit.  Within the world of absolutes I learned that there is absolutely only one way to eternal life.  That would be Jesus.  God has so worked in my life and the lives of others (standing the test) that the absolute is applicable to Him.  He will absolutely redeem you should you take the test (give your life to Jesus).  There are no other answers or choices. This has been true from the fall of mankind in the garden.  God has continually, exhaustively and completely presented ONE way to life.  His way.  The ability of standing the test is equally important.  We can, by the Holy Spirit, stand the test.  This is something we cannot and should not do on our own.  That's part of standing the test.  Should we "stand" firm God will take care of all our needs.  Notice I didn't say "wants." 
      Every morning and evening (sometimes throughout the day) I take the test and relinquish my life once again to Jesus.  Then the rest of the time it's my desire to allow the Holy Spirit to stand the test inside of me and in my external world.  It's as simple as that.  The greater the surrender, the more at peace I am.  The greater the strength of God within me, the less of me is found in my thoughts, deeds, and words.  By the way, notice that no one is grading the test I take or how I stand the test.  That's all been done already.  Surrendering to Jesus gives me an "A" across the board.

No comments:

Post a Comment