Saturday, July 11, 2015

What your parents didn't tell you.

     Discovering yet what my parents didn't tell me is no big surprise.  It's not because they were ignorant or misinformed.  Nor is it that they didn't care.  "Back in the day" life was learned a great deal by implied actions or common sense.  When it rains, the fields are refreshed, the life cycle is working and produce is always more bountiful with water.  My parents didn't tell me about a lot of things.  I never had the "sex" talk and they didn't teach anything in school at that time.  Friends, magazines and imagination educated most of us.  My parents didn't tell me there would be lazy people in the world who expected a handout just because.  It's not that they, or I, hate lazy people.  Rather, laziness is not to be embraced.  Even in my disability retirement I can find productive things to do.  My parents didn't tell me that you deserved breaks from work and that the work week was comprised of five 10 hour days.  We were told and taught by example that you worked at the job until it was done.  My parents didn't teach me about Jesus, church and salvation.  It's not that they didn't have spiritual upbringing themselves.  Nor was it that they didn't have an opinion.  Rather, I think they saw this as under someone else's control. 
     So, here I am now as an adult with grandchildren and children of my own.  What have I not told them?  I'm discovering that in many ways I have failed to convey to them something here and there that might be important to them.  In speaking of my medical and mental history, there are few secrets.  Mental and medical problems do exist and will be in their lives one way or another.  I've discussed genetics, family history and prejudices.  Hate isn't tolerated and is not taught.  I have had the opportunity to teach their Sunday school classes, answer countless spiritual questions and have prayed with and for them over the years.  I rest knowing that they all know Jesus and will remain in Him for time eternal.  The questions that arise from what we do and don't teach out children have huge costs associated with them.  Don't teach your children about fairness and they won't care about fairness.  Don't teach your children to love people and not their actions and you will teach your children to be prejudice and biased toward others.  Don't teach your children to have dreams and visions for their future and future generations and none will be passed on.  Don't tell your children about Jesus, you go to heaven and they go to hell. 
     The consequences of our actions and inactions have heavy and unavoidable ends.  In this age of the internet we have all the tools necessary to do what we can to teach them.  Information is at hand at all times of the days and often within seconds of our asking.  Did you (and I) teach our children to be hungry for learning?  Did we teach them to evaluate a book by its content and not just by the cover?  Did we teach our children to love regardless of whether they are loved back or not?  Did we teach our children to expect rewards for hard work?  Did we teach them the responsibilities of belonging to the greatest society in the world?  Does being a citizen impact our teaching our children what a citizen is and does?  These are all very good and important questions.  I would like to go forward in my life knowing I gave everything I could to my children for them to know Jesus and to succeed.  What you don't teach your children someone else will.  Only they will teach them their version.  What do you want your children to know?

No comments:

Post a Comment