Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Common sense...so rare it's considered a super power!

     Every now and then I am surprised when someone actually uses common sense.  It's not really that hard if you were raised with common sense.  Common sense sometimes escapes me as well.  No one is immune from moments when we say, think or do something right out of the empty box of common sense.  Sometimes, though, common sense isn't the right decision.  That decision depends on the definition of the phrase in what generation and context.  Common sense says I don't run a red light.  It's the middle of the night, there is no traffic and I'm taking my wife who is in labor to the hospital.  I run the red light.  It was the right wrong decision.  One common sense trumps another.  Tell me you won't break the speed limit when taking your injured child to medical care.  You will and so have I.  Common sense pops up in the weirdest places.  The milk cows need to be milked twice a day.  Common sense says you don't miss a single time.  Common sense says get out of the hail storm.  Common sense says you take responsibility for your thoughts, words and actions regardless if they are positive or negative. 
     One of the interesting elements of common sense is if used it will never backfire on you.  The worst that can happen when exercising common sense is you get caught!  In February of this year I was almost done moving 24-36 inch rounds of wood to where I would later split it for firewood.  I had 4 pieces left.  Yet, I felt exhausted and decided to put them off for another day (common sense).  I quit and went inside and re-hydrated (common sense) and then took a shower (common sense).  Gradually I began feeling badly and I ended up in my recliner calling 911 because I knew that I was having a heart attack (common sense if you know the signs).  After a double bypass and the declaration that there was no muscle damage to my heart.  Common sense by men's standards or even the worlds standards would have played the symptoms down, refused to go to the doctor much less the emergency room, and would have taken a nap where I most likely would have died.  By using the common sense that God has given me, my life was saved and I'm here.  I'm very thankful (common sense) and exercise due diligence in my recovery (common sense), and share my story with others so that they can make the common sense decision if and when this happens to them.
     The various generations represented from teens to geriatric have different takes on common sense.  For the young it involves increased risk.  For the old it involves reducing risk.  The young at heart think and feel they are invincible and mortality doesn't lurk around the corner.  The old live with their increasing vulnerability and rapidly approaching mortality.  The young take for granted their place in life and entitlement is a focus almost daily.  The old are thankful for another day to live and people to live with.  Memories are essential for the elderly and so much nonsense for the young.  Of course these are very general characterizations that don't apply to anyone.  That's common sense.  Common sense throughout the generations and throughout history says you give your best.  My best is Jesus.  Common sense has been thrown out the window in this politically correct society that's been thrust upon us.  Legislating my expression of faith in Jesus will not, and does not keep me from speaking about Jesus wherever I am.  Common sense says that something has to be king in your life.  For me that would be....Jesus!  Some would say sports, TV, or even work.  Where do you see your common sense?  Is it a super power?

No comments:

Post a Comment