Friday, June 16, 2017

It's Friday! How do you feel?

     Even us retired folk love Friday.  I know that for many it signifies a time where we can shirk our work responsibilities for the next two days, kick back and relax or take care of those projects we never have time for.  Friday is the antithesis of Monday.  The week begins for most in the opposite of Friday at 5:00.  We have a celebration of sorts inside of ourselves knowing we don't have to do this or that.  Unfortunately that attitude is short lived with Monday.  So what is the Christian supposed to do with this phenomena?  How is the Christian to deal with the world's pattern?  I'd like to say that the Christian should put on a happy face everyday but that isn't reality.  We too are bombarded with the trials and temptations of the week.  Living the 9 to 5 life isn't what Christians are supposed to do.  We have the opportunity of working for the world and living in the world or we can work for Christ and live for Christ.  What does that look like?  It's different in some sense for ever Christian due to the various calling that has been given to us by God.  Your place in the body is probably different than mine.
     We Christians should see the simple picture.  However, that simple picture is complicated by the world we live in.  At least in my world it is.  There are bills to pay, lawns to mow, children to take to the park, garbage to take out, projects to be done and no sign of an end to any of them.  When life begins and ends by the world's expectations, the Christian's shouldn't.  I mow my lawn any day I like and am not confined by the weekend.  I do chores and projects as they rise to the surface rather than making them a thing that controls my life and time.  I set priorities that are important to me so that I can take care of myself.  And, I start every day with devotions, journaling, and writing this blog. THAT sets my day.  From that focus I can either be flexible with where and how God wants me to go through my day.  It's not that I want every day to be Friday; because I don't.  I don't want Friday mentality at all.  I want to be the same all the time.  It's not the dread of Monday either that drives me.  You can have moments of despair on any day of the week.  Here's the good news!
     Matthew, in the Sermon on the Mount, records the words of Jesus about the week, months and years.  Jesus told us to not take a thought of tomorrow.  Jesus told us to live in the moment.  Jesus told us to be available for His will.  Jesus said that he would be there through all our trials.  Jesus also said that we would have good days and bad days.  WHAT?!  He said we would be persecuted for our faith.  Unlike the rest of the world, we have a knowledge that Jesus will be there with us as well.  Paul said that he died daily to self.  There is a big clue.  Dying to self simply means that we give up.  Our way doesn't work.  The world's way doesn't work.  He went on to say that he put on Christ.  Being able to allow Christ to live through you is essential.  So, what can we do about Friday?  The Christian takes the death of Jesus as Good Friday.  Why isn't that bad?  Because it initiated the Good News of his freeing us from our sins.  Have you ever thought of every day as Good Friday?  If you will, there will be no dread on Monday.  Remember that it's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment