Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Our best intentions aren't usually

     As Christians we have intentions for all kinds of things but they are hindered by our motive.  We have come to a place in our lives where we misinterpret what others think, say and do just as they do with us.  We can exercise our best of intentions with our neighbors, friends, relatives and enemies and still miss the point.  I, on many occasions, have entered into what I thought was a good and honest intention to helping someone only to find that my motive was to bring honor and glory to myself rather than Jesus.  "Look what I've done." isn't what I want but that's what my misguided intentions get me.  It's hard to not do things and be humble about them.  At least for me that's the fact.  I have been reprimanded by God many times for messing up His will for someone else when I've taken it upon myself to "help" someone.  Perhaps you have as well.  The disciples were also guilty of this so I shouldn't feel alone.  Neither should you.  The discipline of denying self and letting Jesus live through me is not all that hard to understand.  Depending on the depth that we have given our lives to Jesus we can actually aid the kingdom rather than hindering the kingdom.  God always puts situations in our lives to help others.  Those situations are a proving ground for the Christian.  We should acknowledge that it's Jesus rather than us who is actually working through me.  We, in this process, should be showing people the door to Jesus instead of our house. 
     Believe it or not, Jesus doesn't want us to do everything.  And sometimes he doesn't want us to do anything.  Understanding that we cannot manipulate the will of God in another's life is essential in the mission of all Christians.  If we are saved and if we are filled with the Holy Spirit and if we are instant in season and out of season, we can be Jesus to our world.  However, if we have our own self conceived "best" intentions we run the risk of chasing people away from Jesus instead of to him.  I've had 20 different vocations over my 63 years of life.  Many from my generation sit back and say that I've gone crazy not sticking with something that I've done.  The fact is that I've been listening to God and have moved when he has told me to move.  When HIS job is done where he has placed me, he moves me onto the next assignment.  There have been two times when I moved when he told me to stay so I know what disobedience brings.  My best isn't his.  His best through me is what's appropriate.  Knowing that his will worked through me has advanced the Kingdom of God is where my focus should always be.  Fear and peer pressure often gets in the way when we live this kind of lifestyle.  People don't like the unknown and  don't like to be faced with doing something they think will affect their lifestyle.  Perhaps you feel that way with what God is asking you to do?
     Sometimes we need to relax, listen and then either do nothing or everything regarding what God is directing on the stage.  Jeremiah was told by God to not pray for the people because they were a lost cause.  Jeremiah said to God that he couldn't not pray for the people.  Peter and John before the religious authorities told the religious leaders that they couldn't be silent about the risen Savior.  Bot were within God's will and plan.  The intent of the Bible is to tell us a story, teach us a lesson and to encourage a life of denial to self.  The intent of my sinful nature is to do what I think is right and to use Scripture to justify not doing what God has asked me to do.  Many times I've had the Holy Spirit nudge me to speak to others about Jesus.  I've done so many times.  Then there are times when I haven't.  My intention didn't equal my compliance to God's will.  Out of whatever motive I chose to not do what God asked me to do.  That was and is sin.  We all have situations where we have fallen short of proclaiming Jesus as Lord through our thoughts, deeds and actions.  There's nothing new about that.  What is new is the day you are given today.  What is new is a clean slate when you have asked for forgiveness for your sins.  What is new is the voice of Jesus calling you yet again to lay your life down and let his life live through you.  The ramifications of obeying God is so huge that we can't see all that he accomplishes through us and won't until we get to heaven.  Remember, that every day it's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment