Thursday, April 20, 2017

I am the Prodigal Son...and so are you.

     You would think that with all the running away from God that I would not be fat!  But that's not the kind of running away we are talking about today.  Our hearts can run away from God just like our minds can.  Distracted and undisciplined people that we are, we know what is right to do and yet find ourselves not doing what is right but rather doing what is wrong.  There are two sins.  Only two.  The first is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit which leads to death and eternity in hell.  The second is all other sin and against our loving God which doesn't lead to death and eternity in hell.  Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is committed when one knows that God is who he says he is, Jesus is who he says he is and has brought redemption to us, and the Holy Spirit has convicted us of this truth and we choose to NOT accept the grace and forgiveness of God.  The other sins are multiple are forgivable.  All the forgiveness is predicated upon the knowledge that we have surrendered our lives to Jesus, he living in us, and we choosing to do what we know not to be right anyway.  The Prodigal Son was in the latter category.  So are we who believe today.  Thus we are the Prodigal Son/Daughter that wander away.  James tells us in chapter 4 verse 17 that if we know what is right to do and we sin, we sin against God.  That's an important distinction.  Even though our sins may be against people, they are really against God.
     When I was in 4th grade I was caught sending a derogatory note to a classmate.  It was insulting the teacher.  She intercepted said note and took me into the hallway.  She demanded an apology which I told her I wouldn't give.  I had to stay after school while my mother was called and had to come to school to get me.  She too demanded that I apologize to the teacher.  I refused.  With that I was taken home where punishment was given.  It would be many years later when I would be contemplating this event that I discovered why I wouldn't apologize.  During my young years I had been abused and neglected and no one apologized to me.  I had no understanding of what forgiveness was and wasn't about to get trapped into something that I didn't understand.  I coined the phrase "Forgiveness occurs when what we remember no longer affects our lives."  It's no different with God.  He states in the Bible that he throws our sins as far from him as east is to west.  When travelling that direction you never get to west.  Not true about north and south.  He also says that he throws our sins into the sea of forgetfulness.  I'm not making this stuff up.  It's written right there in the Bible and I am sooooo thankful that he treats my sin in this manner when I ask for forgiveness.  Until I am repentant and return, I'm still a prodigal son and so are you.  Separated from the love of God because the lack of holiness indeed is a dangerous place to be.
     I doubt greatly that this was the only time the Prodigal Son was outside the will of God.  It would only take reviewing a recording of my life to realize that I've been prodigal myself so many times.  Perhaps you realize that yourself about your life.  Satan loves to get his hooks in us where we choose to sin in the first place.  Psalm 1:1 outlines the succession of events that begin, cultivate and bring sin to fruition.  We aren't immune to the temptations to sin.  We are easily drawn into the web that the world has spun for us.  Anytime we are outside the will of God we are a prodigal son or daughter.  It matters not that we claim salvation through the blood of Jesus.  It matters not that we go to church, are in the choir and volunteer teaching Sunday school.  It matters that we know Jesus and WANT to do what is pleasing to Him and Him alone.  God will never forsake nor abandon those who are born again.  He waits for our return home so that he can bestow the blessings he has for us.  That's what a loving father does.  He leaves the 99 to find the 1 sheep that has strayed away.  Then he brings the 1 home.  Remember, it's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment