Thursday, November 6, 2014

Would you die for your faith?

     People have asked me that question and I can faithfully say that I would die for my faith.  Let's be a little more tough on me.  Would I deny Christ if my children were going to be killed based on my answer?  Knowing they would be tortured before their deaths would I stand by and not waiver in my faith?  That would be easier with friends or enemies.  My kids have accepted Jesus as Savior and will be in heaven.  I know this as witnessed their accepting Jesus with me.  That part is uplifting.  Knowing they may be tortured or even killed because of their faith is a whole different ball of wax.
     We don't like to think about death.  That should be a positive part of our life.  We all will die eventually.  For the Christian that death came a long time ago in the Garden of Eden.  From that day forward all of mankind have been born dead.  Our lives only seeing life when we accept Jesus as Lord and Savior.  They may kill the body but will never be able to kill the soul living for Jesus.  That is good news.  My last breath out here on earth will be followed by my first breath taken in heaven.  That is promised for all believers.  No exceptions.  All those who remain dead will not be in heaven.  All those who have been born again (spiritually) will see heaven.
     Back to the original question.  Would I die a physical death for a spiritual life for all of eternity?  Having just made the case for the born again the question seems kind of unnecessary.  I guess the matter is relegated to the conditions of our world and my relationship with God.  Do I believe what the Word says?  If I do, there should be no fear of death.  That doesn't mean we have to like death.  It's just that physical death has no hold on our spiritual life.  Why?  Because for the believer the physical death means little.  Non-believers don't understand my stance.  There have been more than once when non-believers have stood there shaking their heads when they have heard the Gospel. 
     Would you die for your faith?  Well, would  you?  The day is coming when we Christians in the free world will be killed because of the faith we hold.  This is part of counting the cost we do when we consider taking Christ's offer of eternal life.  Many say "yes" to part of the package and not all of the deal.  The Bible says that mankind will hate us because of Christ in us.  The Bible says we will be ostracized by non-believers because of the faith we have been blessed with when we accepted Jesus in the first place.  When we consider old age or terminal illness, death is accepted more because there is a physical problem that creates a worldly expectation.  But, we are stopped dead in our tracks when a child dies. 
     Bringing this home to our question becomes a very serious issue.  If we were standing before the executioner that was to take the physical life of our child, would we deny Jesus as Lord and Savior in order to spare our child violent death?  Would we serve God's purpose or Satan's purpose?  The question is rather simple to hear but very difficult to accept.  I've had the pleasure of praying for all of my children when they accepted Jesus as Savior.  My confidence of where they will go when their physical bodies die is secure.  But it's MY child.  But it's MY grandchild.  But it's My daughter.  But its MY son.  That is exactly what the Father said when Jesus was sent to earth as a child, while he grew up, and his death and resurrection.  Yet, the Son said, "Not my will but your will be done." 
     Will our kids who believe be able to assure us to the degree we won't deny Christ?  Will our extended family and friends be able to do the same?  Do you think your kids know that you would die for Jesus?  Do you think you could tell them today the truth about dying for Christ?  Perhaps today would be a good time o have "the talk." Tell them about what is to come.  Let them know that you love them so much that you will be the example of how to NOT deny your faith.  Thus concluding your chance to have input into their remaining days or years on earth.  They can take it.  They can understand more than we know.  They will only be able to rise to the occasion if they are taught regarding the love of God that lives in us. 
     Would you die for your faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment