Friday, November 14, 2014

Global warning...hmmm

     It's 19 degrees outside today.  That is not good if it's setting the tenor of winter.  The dogs water dish was frozen over and the wind had a sharp bite in it.  We will have to see how the day goes.  In the meantime let's ponder us.  We are a complex creation.  Some will love the cold and others will go to Arizona until the cold passes.  I choose to stay inside and warm.  It's my selfish decision of the day.  That's just the way life is sometime.  I've done my "time" in winters growing up on a large farm in North Dakota.  Because I have done the time, I can speak about it.  Life's lessons equip us to make decisions and opinions on issues that we have personally experienced.  You may have raised monkeys and thus have an opinion on what it takes to raise monkeys.  Opinions are not revered by everyone.  We have the choice to take different stands.  To some, today, is just the prelude to an Indian Summer.  To which I say, "Fat chance!"
     And so it goes.  Taking stands on issues and life.  Some issues are open for everyone to take a stand.  Like, do you like peas and why?  But, many make their determination before learning the difference between home grown and store purchased.  If you have never had fresh from the garden peas in the pod; you are missing the best part of peas.  This might be true for squash and spinach as well.  We can only project from where WE are.  If you don't communicate you may have spent years unknowingly serving peas when they hate them.  So that's why you leave them on your plate!  There is nothing wrong with letting others know what you like and don't like.  I don't like or believe in global warming.  But you can determine differently for yourself.  Step outside my home in swim trunks and see how warm you feel.
     There is a difference between opinion and bias.  In my opinion I think the greatest candy bar is a large (2 pieced) Snickers.  It, amazingly, has several of the food groups represented and they can be considered health food.  No way!  Yes way!  Just don't tell my doctor.  Conditioning has a lot to do with opinion and bias.  I once went to the emergency room when I had cut myself.  As a joke I talked the doctor into writing me a permanent prescription for one strawberry milkshake a day.   I still have that script!  Sometimes my opinions and biases are stretched accept something outside where I am.  This results in my opinion and bias being shifted to include the new data.  For instance, there have been times when I have been somewhere remote and discovered my gas tank was empty.  I would begin to pray for Jesus to help me get to the next gas station.  Promises were made and eventually broken.  You have done this as well.  It may not be the same example but it's been a subject in everyones life.
     Life isn't contained in a tank full of gas, a strawberry milkshake (well...), or a serving of peas.  These are opinions and biases we carry with us.  When things change we are expected to change as well.  When these changes touch our lives and/or our faith we begin to get heated up and defensive.  Just what is it that you believe and advocate for that is rock solid?  When all is said and done, what will be the final stand you take?  What would you be willing to die for?  When God was faced with this very question he chose to sacrifice his son, Jesus.  Non-negotiable in my life.  Jesus is Lord.  And yes, I'm biased as well.  The more people attempt to take away or change this part of my life, the bigger the resistance.  The bigger the resistance on my part, the number of people standing with me goes down.  So, at last we come to the end.  Did I become willing to die for you?  Not in a savior role.  But would I lay down my life for my brother?  Or would my wishy washy opinion and bias betray the weakness in my life? 
     Peas are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment