Saturday, November 1, 2014

Being yourself requires guts!

     With the world at odds regarding you being who they want you to be, the best move is to be your self.  The problem is that a lot of people are expected to be something they are not.  Case in point.  If you are raised to believe in a certain denomination (church group), you will be expected to keep the tradition and stay with that church.  To choose anything other is tantamount to treason.  Many families have been torn apart when their son/daughter choose the faith of their spouse.  While we have history as an example, this affects women more than men.  Women have had the one down placement for most of the time since creation.  Children are also relegated to being who their parents want them to be.
     I was discussing my beliefs with another person of faith.  Suddenly, he said something that stopped me dead in my tracks.  His belief was contrary to mine.  Of course mine was the right one; but he thought his was right as well.  This is just an example of religious association.  We have all kinds of beliefs that are contrary.  When I was a teenager driving my first car, I was a Ford man.  I had friends who were Chevy or Mopar people.  We were loyal to our stance.  It was that choice that determined our focus.  I still choose Ford but have also chosen the other two as well.  I've even chosen foreign made cars.  I guess I just lost my loyalty to the made in America belief. 
     There is a meal that I love but causes others to fake barf!  They disagree and use their voice and body language to tell me I am nuts for liking what I like.  The dish in question is liver and onions.  Other than my sister I do not know anyone who shares my opinion.  My six siblings grew up with me and ate the same food I ate but now have different favorite dishes.  Some are just traditional like roast beef or fried chicken.  When I go out with people to a restaurant for dinner and they serve liver and onions I will sometimes, despite the groans and fake barfing, order the liver and onions.  They don't have to like it or eat it.  However, their opinion is very loud and demanding.  What I believe is good and what they believe is good crash head on. 
     I've visited many churches in my lifetime both here at home and out of country.  The method of presenting Christ to the audience was different in almost every setting.  The Gospel was the same but the message was offered in a way that best fit their congregation.  If you want to have others consider and accept the Gospel we need to present that Gospel in such a way that they desire to know Jesus and NOT our biases.  While we are a people who tolerate other beliefs and means of worship, the message of salvation through Christ remains most important.  If you could choose any means of putting forth the Gospel, wouldn't you try to learn what is the best and most accepted means of their hearing and believing? 
     I shouldn't want people to be like me.  I should want people to be who Christ means them to be.  Trying to lead people to Christ is often mistaken as trying to lead people to Steve.  We should put forth a view that says Jesus is primary in all of our beliefs.  We are a pathetic place in our portrayal of Christianity and our personal witness.  The world is going on the wrong path and don't want to engage much less change the way they think and the opinions they have.  They could very well write that same sentence about me or you.  Who is right is not nearly as important as being whom Christ has led us to be.  The sacrifice of Jesus on the cross permanently changed our relationship with God.  We can accept people dressing differently, eating different food and even their speaking a foreign language as long as the same belief about Jesus is present. 
     Being yourself requires guts!  Boldness takes on a whole different meaning when we consider boldness in a Christian context.  Jesus did not teach tolerance regarding belief in him.  He did urge tolerance in such a way that the Gospel would be heard and considered.  Today you and I will have time to engage others in their world.  Live in such a way that they are hungry for Christ who lives in you.  It takes guts to take a stand.  Sometimes when we take a stand that stand is based on our beliefs at that time.  When we learn additional information our way of living and loving Jesus may change as well.  In turn we are able to see what other's believe and adjust our presentation of the Gospel.  That being said, go out and be whom God has created you to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment