Saturday, February 20, 2016

This is not where I belong.

     This is not where I belong.  On October 1, 1972 I changed my address and have been away from home ever since.  My address is heaven.  When we choose to have Christ in our lives we are no longer residents of planet earth or any other planet.  As such, my life should resemble that of a sojourner here on earth rather than a permanent resident.  I'm passing through and one day I will go home.  My last breath here on earth will signify my first breath in heaven.  Home!  Yes, like Paul, I long to go home.  It's not that this life and place and time isn't okay.  It is okay.  However, why satisfy yourself with okay when you can have great?  The big question for me (and maybe you) is whether or not I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing or am I so heavenly minded that I'm no earthly good.  Some days yes and some days no.  That's a fair assessment.  I don't belong here and some resentment sits in my soul that I have to be here.  Yes, I said it.  I resent having to live in a foreign country where I'm not welcome if I am heavenly minded.  Living as an outcast isn't necessarily fun but it's what we are called to be.  At least that's what the Bible says. 
     Being in the world but not of the world are radically different situations.  We aren't given any other option though.  We are to be here until he takes us home.  Being in the world isn't a bad thing.  Being of the world is a bad thing.  Living with the attitude that I belong to God and he will deliver me from this world one day is awesome!  Living in this frame of mind keeps us stayed on the mission he has left us on earth for.  Each of us have a mission and we need to be active in accomplishing that mission.  Right now you are probably thinking what is my mission?  The "church" has done much damage to people being able to accomplish our mission on earth by delineating "jobs" to those who belong to the community of Christ.  There are so many people who have told me, "It's not my job."  Well, if it isn't your job, whose job is it?  I get ahead of myself.  What is our mission?  It's simpler than you think.  We are to bring glory to God.  That's it.  He does all the rest.  Making your life about bringing glory to God is a choice.  When we choose to be in that space, God can reach people who have previously been closed off and living in the world and of the world.  Our job is to live a life so tempting and tantalizing that people seek us out and ask us what it is about us that we have that they don't.  We have hope.  They need hope.  We give them hope.  That's simple and that's it.  That's our mission.
     In that respect, Jesus went to dinner with a taxman, hung around with the unclean and healed those who were untouchable.  He cast out demons, threw the money changers out of the temple and sacrificed his life for all of mankind.  We're to be "little Christ's" to our world.  Are you?  Am I?  If I am comfortable with being here and doing nothing then I am not and neither are you.  Christians should NOT be comfortable living in this world.  There is not a single encouraging word for us to be of the world.  There are many encouraging words for us to be in the world but not of the world.  We are a nomadic people in knowing we are moving on from this country to heaven which is our home.  One of the questions I ask myself is whether I will hear "well done my good and faithful servant." or "Steve, just what were you thinking or were you thinking at all?" when I get to heaven.  We are not only asked to give an account then, but we need to give an account now...daily...to God.  If we are living for him as strangers in a foreign land then our testimony is that account.  Paul counted his life here in this world as dung, crap, manure BUT counted Christ as everything. 
     This is not my home, I'm just passing through.  That's a phrase from an old hymn.  Many sing it but few believe it or even understand what it means.  Joshua 24:15 "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."  If we serve the Lord, the Bible attests, we cannot serve the world.  I know what that means for me.  What does that mean for you?  This is not where I belong.  You shouldn't belong here either.

No comments:

Post a Comment