Sunday, February 21, 2016

Problems show symptoms but have causes. Look at the causes.

     It would be easy to give some trite answer here like, "Sin is the cause.  Don't do it." That would be too short and easy.  There's nothing like delving into a problem and finding you need to have different perspectives on how to deal with it.  So, here goes.  Imagine you wake up feeling like throwing up.  Do you immediately say, "I feel like throwing up." or "I wonder why I feel like throwing up?"  See the difference?  The one is an immediate response to a situation while the other is designed to prevent the feeling in the future.  Maybe the liver and onions you had for dinner isn't something you should repeat.  Whoops!  There I go.  The cause wasn't the liver and onions.  The symptom may have manifested itself in your wanting to throw up, but the cause may have been a variety of choices.  You may have allergies, you may have tainted onions, you may have had ill prepared liver.  You get the picture.  There are symptoms and then there are causes.  The same goes for people and situations around you.
     The problem isn't the addiction to alcohol.  The problem isn't the addiction to food.  The problem isn't the deficiency found in the water we drink.  The problem can only be identified when we go past the symptom and head directly to the cause.  Providers in the various helping professions all to often treat symptoms.  That keeps us going back because the cause isn't being treated.  The Bible (James) says that we "ask and do not receive because we ask with wrong motives."  We ask for our addiction to go away.  We ask that our symptoms of illness go away.  We ask for money and possessions to make our wants go away.  We ask for that person, place or thing that we "think" will fulfill us.  We have not because we ask not.  That is, we ask with wrong motives.  In order for our motives to be pure, we need to identify the root problem...the cause and not just the symptoms.  I may have inadequate relationships because people don't want to be around me.  Why?  It's not because I didn't shower, say the right things or even have the right "stuff."  It's because my presentation and their perceived wants clash.  One is my problem and one is not.  My presentation is controlled by the interaction of symptoms unaddressed and wants being placed above needs.  The cause isn't that I'm ignorant or even stubborn.  The cause is my priorities are wrong.
     We all have (according to the Bible) the image of God in us because he made us in his image.  That's not necessarily a physical or even sexual image.  It's the "soul" image that is the image of God.  What we are born into, raised within, educated about and determined by our society has worked to cover that image of God.  We spend our lifetimes searching for solutions to the symptoms when we should spend our right now moment determining the cause.  The cause is partly our focus.  We are sinful people.  We are not a sinful creation.  We are a people created in the image of God so we are not intended to be seen as a sinful creation.  Yes, we are sinners.  No, we are not without the image of God.  The symptoms are focused on the sinner.  The cause is focused on the hidden image of God.  The simple answer is to uncover the image and let that live through you and I.  There is the problem!  We live in a world where we are constantly running from one symptom to another and NO ONE tells us that we are created in the image of God and can live above the symptoms. 
     Please don't misunderstand.  I know that physical illness and mental disorders/illnesses are real.  I do understand that needs aren't met and not because of sin.  I understand.  I also know that when I focus on the image of God that the rest is just symptoms.  The more I focus on the image of God the less of me focuses on me and my symptoms.  I know it's not as easy as I make it out to be.  The journey of a 1000 miles begins with one step.  Taking that first step is the beginning.  Taking the next step is the beginning.  Every step is the beginning of the life of Christ living through you and I.  It's true that we need to confess our sin and ask for forgiveness.  That's treating the symptom.  It's also true that we need to daily come before God and ask for guidance.  That's treating the symptom as well.  It's true that we can profess our faith in God and be the martyr enduring our circumstances.  This is treating the symptom as well.  To go beyond the symptom and treat the cause is to discover the image of God in us and live that life.  When I am empty of me (symptom) all that is left is God.  Many saints have come and gone who have found the cause, died to self and lived poured out lives that society and even many Christians could not or would not understand.  Forsaking all else and being Christ to the world means just that.  Forsake yourself.  Treat the cause and not the symptom.  Ask yourselves moment by moment (if you have to) whether this is Christ or is this me.  Christ is selfless love.  What are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment