Thursday, May 7, 2015

So, you want to be a star!

     When I was young my fantasy was of being an international spy.  Partly inspired by I Spy, The Man From Uncle and...now I'm dating myself!  Yet, that's what I wanted to be.  In my imagination I was always trying to save mankind from someone or something and usually was shot but never killed.  Being fictitious makes one immune from reality.  As i grew up my encounter with reality and fantasy changed with reality taking the upper hand.  Life can do that to a person.  Life can do that to a people group as well.  Take the mountain to valley to mountain experience of the disciples and the first century church.  Amidst the dream of everyone coming to Jesus and living in peace here on earth reality happened.  Persecuted, killed, driven underground and hunted like animals, the dream was not as many of them had expected.  Even today the differences between fantasy and reality are continually blurred.  Fantasy is easier to deal with than reality.  Reality has very tangible results of it's impact on us.  While our kids work their way through the levels of some video game that has been deemed "okay" they learn violence, selfishness and hatred.  Defending the common good isn't that dominant in our world.  Neither is the peaceful and loving message of Jesus.  But then, who would play a video game of Jesus and his people loving each other?
     Sometimes our dreams are to be the star of various events or professions.  Like the dream to be CEO of such and such, lead singer in this or that band, maybe quarterback or pitcher for some famous sports club.  All of these positions have one thing in common.  They are uncommon.  They are a position of one.  The message of the Gospel is that we need to be in a position of many.  We are all parts of the same body fit together utilizing each individuals unique God given gifts to bring Jesus to a world where reality has lapsed and apathy has set in.  What does it mean to be a star?  For the world it means having a following, living an immoral lifestyle, having possessions way beyond anyone's needs and yes, even worship by the minions who buy the tickets at $80-100 a pop.  What does it mean to be a star for Jesus?  It means being "the least of these."  It means being invisible so that all people see is Jesus and him risen from the dead bring life to those who are desiring of eternal life.  It means being a part of and not apart from.  Being THE one is not the same as living for THE One.
     I've accomplished much more than I ever thought I would as a child.  No, I've never been an international spy or even anything close.  I did become a cop though, a pastor, a therapist, a father, a husband, a friend, a fellow believer, a part of the body and a reflection of Jesus (when I'm not focused on myself).  You see, I'd rather be seen as a star that represents THE Star instead of THE star of my own world.  I'd rather be used rather than to use.  Okay, maybe I've done more than my share of using.  My heart and mind would like to be used by the Lord and yet the spirit is weak.  Why?  Because of our world and the teaching of what and who are "success" related and how they got there.  We have a crazy idea that the worlds idea of greatness is what we should strive for.  That's not the Gospel.  The Bible tells us that the greatest in the kingdom of heaven will be they who have served with all their heart, soul and mind.  It will be those who have loved with Jesus' love.  Will that be you and I?  It's up to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment