Saturday, May 2, 2015

My etch-a-sketch crashed!

     Long before the advent of electricity there were discoveries and inventions that were meant to make life easier for mankind.  Though we have sought to simplify life; in reality we have taken huge strides in complicating our lives.  Even those who have resisted such "advances" find themselves weighed down with where society and mankind have headed.  In this present state there is more that I don't know that what I do know about how our world is working today.  It seems that priorities have shifted both individually and in the family.  Seeing a family in a restaurant with everyone texting on their cell phones, eating and not saying a word to each other is certainly a familiar sight and for me an unwelcome one.  However, technology has determined that these machines control and direct our lives.  I lost my phone on a trip and felt handicapped because I had no ones addresses or phone numbers.  Allowing a device to have that much power in my life was a wake up call for me.  Along with today's technology there is the demand for "instant" news, communication, and unfortunately, informal contact with those we "love" in our lives.
     I wrote a hand written letter to each of my four grand daughters a few years back and they had a difficult time reading the cursive writing (no, not swearing).  It turns out that they are taught keyboarding and computer skills instead of cursive in schools today.  I still write cursive letters to those I love.  No sense in changing the manner of communication.  Sometimes I even get hand written letters back. 
     Why am I saying all of this?  What is it that God really wants us to see in this brief sketch of our current lives?  Life today is losing it's personal touch and in so doing we are losing our personal touch with God.  He, like our lives, is relegated to a few thoughts here and there quickly uttered to let him know we are still there.  We may be there but we aren't listening.  Our distractions are many and our need of God's hand in our lives is great.  There can be no marriage between the two.  The distractions are increasing.  Our kids are learning more instantly with Google on their cell phones at age 8 than I learned in my college years.  Want to know someone's real name, Google it.  There is an app for everything but God.  No app for God means we don't try to access him and yet need him more than ever.  Our populations education is coming less and less from involved parents and families (to include church families) to more and more instant access to whatever the programers put on the internet.  Hmm...makes you wonder if 1984 has been unleashed.  Unless you read the book in school you probably didn't understand that comment.  Read the book.
     Here is where we really get to the gold.  If we read THE Book, we can find more than enough to occupy our minds for eons.  We don't have eons though.  The Bible holds for us the history of creation and mankind as well as the transformations that have taken place for a distracted and self absorbed people.  I recently commented to a young person that I knew the end of the story.  They asked what I meant.  I told them the end of the story of life on earth and eternity. They doubted me so I told them about the book of Revelation.  They went to their cell phone and I stopped them.  I suggested they "read" the book of Revelation and see what it has to say.  While I was at it I also suggested they read the whole Bible so that they could see all those centuries in context and not some excerpt put online to tease our instant need for an answer.  What does happen when we take such a drastic step in our thinking and reasoning?
     You notice that the God of the universe has created all things and in him all things have being.  Who better to go to than God who knows the intricacies of every fabric of our lives and the lives of those around us?  He even gave us the key to entrance into his world.  Jesus Christ, God, came to earth to dwell amongst us, make a way for us, and to lead us into forever.  Find that on your app!

No comments:

Post a Comment