Saturday, May 9, 2015

Do we have to be so impatient?

     I found myself on the internet this morning reading news articles and complaining that the internet was so slow!  Compared to yesteryear when I watched the news on TV, the internet is a breeze.  Before that the newspaper was a great way to get day old news. Before that of course there was the word of mouth.  Some people go through their lives never getting on the internet, not watching TV, not reading the newspaper and certainly not talking with anyone about newsworthy issues.  They live in two worlds; ignorance and bliss.  My impatience causes my blood pressure to go up.  When that happens, I know that stress and frustration aren't far behind.  Suddenly I find myself turning off the internet and going onto something else in my life.  Impatience hasn't served me well over the years and I'm sure you can relate to this. 
     When the Gulf War broke out people were in several camps of thought.  Gas prices would go up.  Travel would be curtailed.  The end times was upon us.  The first two were true and soon put upon us and the rest of the world.  Since the time of Christ people have been reading into this or that about the return of Jesus to take us home.  People of old were seeking the time when they would see justice or they would go home to be with God.  That's often the case whenever a world event takes place. Whether it's a war in the middle east, an earthquake that shatters people's peace or just the fire and brimstone preacher who issues the edict that the end is near, we are an impatient people.  I've been found to be impatient in all kinds of situations over my lifetime.  Being impatient with what God wants to accomplish in the world and my life is probably the greatest bump in my road.
     Children are impatient.  I shouldn't really say more as everyone who has them knows this is true.  "Are we there yet?"  "Why do we have to wait?"  "Why?" and other questions arise for most every child on earth.  "Is it time yet?"  Yet, Jesus tells us to be like little children so we can enter the kingdom of God.  Maybe not the impatient way though.  Little children are accepting of most events in their little lives.  One event takes no more importance than the next.  Children don't see the world the way adults do.  We see the world as a place where there is chaos, uncertainty, fear and so many other negatives unlike the peace a child encounters.  When we choose to live as Jesus has asked us to live the impatience in our lives subsides and we can then begin to enjoy the world around us like a child enjoys theirs.  Instead of preoccupation with getting ahead, we are preoccupied with helping to lift up others.  Instead of selfishness and self-centeredness, thankfulness for what we have is coupled with giving to those who don't.  We pass on that which we have. 
     I know a man who, when entering a room, brings so much turmoil, stress and impatience with him that no one can remain unaffected.  Sometimes in my past I have been that man.  Impatience brings turmoil and stress to our lives and pushes Jesus aside.  When Jesus is pushed aside people are too.  Impatience can and does debilitate our lives.  When we see anything but the peace of God coming towards us we need to brace for the onslaught from Satan and the world around us.  The more peace we have from God, the less impatience will surface in our lives.  This leads to a better relationship with God, family and others as well as an honest reflection of what God can do in all of our lives.  I am still an impatient man.  I'm getting better and letting go more often.  God is good...all the time.  He is never impatient but long suffering not bring judgement upon us for our sinful lives.  I'm glad God is patient with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment