Sunday, March 22, 2015

World Water Day

     It's World Water Day!  Since there are so many without good drinkable water in the world we need to be concerned as sojourners with those who have less.  I haven't made coffee yet this morning but know that when I do I will rinse out my coffee carafe and pour out more water than some children and adults have in an entire day.  I shouldn't feel guilty but rather thankful.  That doesn't exempt me from caring about those who don't have what we have.   There can be no permanent answer to this problem as long as people think, say and do nothing.   People on earth wanting a physical drink of water seldom think beyond their immediate need.  I know that when my basic needs are met that I tend to put those needs out of mind until they once again rear up and demand my attention.  So, I address the very real need of water in my own life.  I am unable to go to another country and have a well dug so that others can have water.  I'm unable to fill a cargo plane with bottled water and fly it to a place of great need.  Just how long have they (those in need of water) been in this state of need?  Why haven't they or someone done something a long time ago to take care of this problem?
     There are so many constraints people place upon themselves that need cannot possibly be met.  When animals comfort and desires are put before the people who worship them a conflict surfaces about taking care of need.  When corruption fills governments and supplies are received, sold and shipped out instead of used to help their people injustice rears its ugly head.  As we look at the organizations that provide "help" we are reminded that everyone wants to make a profit and little of the "help" really reaches where it needs to go.  This, of course, isn't just true about water.  It's also true about food.  People's priorities have always been a determining factor in who gets taken care of and when.  Where there is selfishness there will always be those who are considered expendable and needs will go on unmet.  And so it goes...unfortunately.  Whether you are feeding the moneys that invade your community, worshiping the cows that wander your streets, or are focused on taking from those in need to satisfy your own selfish needs; there will always be those who do not have what they need.
     Developing an attitude of "I'm not the problem." doesn't counter the attitude of "I'm not the solution."  We are collectively the problem and potentially the solution.  I'm not just talking about water.  I'm talking about life.  Christians are supposed to offer "life" even as Jesus offered life.  That offer is to all.  If you have never seen someone die because their needs weren't met when they could have been; you probably won't be moved by World Water Day.  This, like most Christian topics, is not about this being someone else job.   My taking a shorter shower or not wasting rinse water (I could water a plant) isn't going to solve a problem half way around the world.  It will help me to be aware that there is a problem and once aware to make a concerted effort to do what Jesus would do.  Just what are you and I going to do today that will make a difference?  Perhaps make someone else aware of a need in the world that still has gone on unmet.  Perhaps change your own habits.  Maybe pray for those who have needs you and I have never felt.  It's up to you.  It's your choice.  Be a servant or the one served.  What will it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment