Monday, March 30, 2015

There I was minding my own business...

     People who know me know that if there is something strange, off the cuff, or just incredible; it will happen to me.  These are both positive and negative in all fairness.  I don't care for the negative but know they are necessary in this world we live in.  Sometimes these events are of my own making and other times they are thrust upon me out of the blue.  Needless to say, I'm not the only one whom this happens to.  After talking with friends and relatives I've found that others run into this situation as frequently as I do and sometimes worse scenarios.  I know that we can learn from life's lessons and do try to find the "teachable" moment in these events.  Sometimes that element is readily available while other times I'm hard pressed to find anything that is redeemable about the event.  Do you ever feel that way? 
     Murphy has been blamed for many things over the years.  Murphy is fictional and much has been accredited to his interwoven presence in our lives.  His, though, is on the negative side.  I've caught myself blaming Murphy time and time again.  There are few people in my world who haven't heard of or experienced the presence of a Murphy event. In the Christian world we would give the honor of what has happened (when negative) to the enemy while the positive to God.  This isn't necessarily true though.  God allows the negative and positive in our lives to bring about His will.  His will is always perfect and beneficial to all while at the same time bringing glory to Him who has saved us.  Perhaps we need to speak of "God moments" more often and "Murphy moments" less.  The Word tells us that "all things work for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose."  Do we believe that word?
     Through the years I have been struck with the harsh realities alongside the pleasant realities.  Both seem to come out of the blue.  The death of a loved one.  The birth of a loved one.  The hiring to a good job and obviously it's opposite; being fired.  There are many other examples I could give but I think you get the idea.  We have so much come up in our lives on a daily basis that we feel overwhelmed with God's goodness or his missing presence.  It's all about our perspective.  Do I believe that God really has my best interests at heart or do I believe that he is indifferent to the suffering that goes on around me?  Do I believe that He is the author and finisher of my faith or do I rely on "Steve" as a means of taking care of my faith and my life? 
     Minding my own business is not the end all of choices I make in my life.  However, when I am minding His business there s no need to be surprised when something does or does not happen.  All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose.  I believe that.  Sometimes it's difficult to hold onto that thought because of what is or has happened.  Yet, I need to be about his business instead of minding my own business.

No comments:

Post a Comment