Monday, March 16, 2015

Proverbs 25:25 says, "News from a far country is like water to a thirsty soul."

     A month ago on 2/16 I was going about my chores when I suffered a heart attack.  I called 911 and was taken to a great hospital where they evaluated me and recommended surgery to bypass 2 blocked arteries.  On 2/23 I had that surgery and obviously am back to writing.  God has been very gracious to me in my healing and continues to bless me.  To say I was scared when I called 911 is the greatest understatement I have ever made!  I was terrified!  My first thoughts were about all those I loved who are involved in my life as I am in their life as well.  My children, spouse, relatives, friends and my church to name a few.  I even had a couple of my enemies inquire and make well wishing overtures.  The news from a far country is not just a one way journey.  I depend upon those with whom I am connected and they are dependent upon me.  So, we communicate.  Now, in this era, we text, email, write and sometimes even talk!  By the time I had been in the hospital for 2 days there were thousands of people praying for me all over the United States and even overseas!  I was and am overwhelmed!  Thank you for being part of my healing from a far country.  My soul was thirsty and you gave me drink in the form of prayers and thoughts.  God bless you.
     Often we go through a crisis and tell ourselves we are going to change this or modify that.  We may even pledge to God to be more and better for Him.  Words are easy to speak but often lacking in conviction and determination.  That's where we find ourselves all too often when we are going through things.  Kind of like saying, "If you can get me to a gas station I won't speed again."  Bargaining doesn't work because we still believe that we can be god of at least part of our world.  The heart attack was a real wake up call.  Except for the grace of God, I wouldn't be here writing this.  Instead you would have come to my funeral and that would have been that.  God isn't done with me and has a plan for me.  He has my attention fully!  The far country has come near.  In that emergency room God caught my heart's attention (no pun intended).  The news was that I was not, will not and cannot be the god of my world.  Ever.  I did not go to the far country (heaven) that day or any day since.  One day I will but for now God has spared my life.  Like Paul, I do long to go home to be with Jesus and am not afraid of my journey to the other side.  Yet, like Paul, I know that God wants me to be able to give the far country to others who do not have an assurance of life after death.
     The "far country" began in Genesis and ends in Revelation.  We interpret the "far country" with the knowledge and wisdom given to us from God.  The news from the far country is that Jesus is the Christ.  It is he, who though God, came to live among us.  It was he who was brought to death on the cross so that we could be free from death.  Rising from the dead Jesus unlocked the doors to heaven to all who would believe.  He's coming again to take us who love him home to be with him.  This is the news from the far country.  This is the news that brings water to the thirsty soul.  There is so much water that we are asked to give water to those around us.  Why?  Because they too need news from the far country.  We are not just talking about how my aunt loves to hear about my garden or my sister about my latest guffaw.  These are from the far country as well.  However, the news from the far country is in Jesus.  Nothing more or nothing less.  Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment