Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Expectations

     When I look at my life I am almost overwhelmed by the expectations that are involved in practically every sector of my life.  Expectations of myself, others, professionals, God, and the list goes on and on.  To balance this there are also sectors of my life where there are no expectations.  These came about by various means but usually relate to disappointments, failures, losses and other negative experiences.  Without the positive and negative "expectations" life would be mundane and without hope of more.  My expectations have brought trouble to life for myself and others.  Not intentionally in every case; but nonetheless the trouble surfaced interfering with more aspects of my life than I want to consider.  My expectations have also brought positive change and success in various areas of my life.  Should we not look at expectations we will most likely not appreciate the toil of God and others bringing "better" to our lives.  Expectations are the juice that keeps us hopeful and focused on the goals we have.  Whenever we have expectations of others that focus tends to change over time.  Some people rise to the occasions while others never see the occasions to rise to in the first place.  Despite the years and lessons learned I still tend to have expectations where I haven't learned to either tone them down or abandon them entirely.  It's the way I am wired.  I expect a lot from me and subsequently a lot from others.  Call yourself a Christian and the expectation scale moves even higher. 
     My high school senior class voted me "Most likely to fail."  Not exactly flattering.  I didn't wake up one day and say to myself, "I think I will be a failure."  I know no one who does this.  It's not that we aren't aware we will fail somewhere in our day or life.  We will fail.  I just don't like others telling me that I am "Most likely to fail."  They don't have the right to speak that into my life.  Ever.  Yet, we see the school bully, the outcast group, those with questionable scruples and the irreverent fulfilling other peoples expectations of failure all the time.  This phenomenon did not begin with me and certainly won't end with me.   I might add that I have failed in many different areas of life.  My failures do not define who I am though.  I could also add that I have succeeded more than I have failed.  Which do you think my senior class wants to believe?  How have they succeeded in their lives?  Did they live up to personal and corporate expectations?  I don't know where many of them are nor what they have done or are doing.  I don't care to as I have no expectation they could possibly add anything positive in my life.  As long as I keep my expectations low of others I won't be hurt or disappointed when they think and act that way.  That is also directed back to me. 
     God has placed expectations on me to be the man of God he intended me to be.  This was from before I was formed in my mother's womb.  The knowledge of who we are find firm footing in He who formed me and put all my days before me.  Yet, I kick against those expectations.  The Word says he has good planned for me and that he will never leave nor forsake him.  So why do I bring about my destruction even though I know this?  Was it because of how I was taught?  Did it have anything to do with those who hurt me?  Was I a victim of someone more insecure than I?  Yes to all of those.  Here is the key.  Don't miss this point.  I am not perfect and neither are you.  I am not perfect and neither are you.  The Bible says that we cannot live a sinless life.  So, understand that even though I try to do this I will inevitably fail to meet the "perfect" standard.  This is not an excuse to try.  It's a reality needed to understand why we absolutely need the grace of God in the work of Jesus Christ on the cross.  He took away all the expectations of mankind and replaced them with the acceptance of God just as I am.  He expects me to be who he created me to be.  Nothing more and nothing less.  If God accepts me "just as I am", why can't you?  If God accepts you "just as you are", why can't I? 

No comments:

Post a Comment