Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Complaining accomplishes what?

     In one of my past vocations as a supervisor I was determined to cut the complaining down of those I supervised.  So, I told each of them that they were not allowed to bring me a problem unless they came up with three potential solutions to that problem first.  No one brought me any problems.  They were able, on their own, to analyze and remedy the problem without bringing it to me.  This is one of the marks of a leader.  They proved to  me that they were ready to have more responsibility and to be checked on less.  This, in turn, allowed me to do my job.  Complaining is as old as the sun.  People learn to complain.  They are taught to complain.  Prior to human interaction  no one knows to complain just as no one has significant fears.  Complaining, like fears, are abilities that are learned.  We are born with two fears; the fear of loud noises and the fear of falling.  Being "born" is the event that brings both of these fears to the forefront of life.  Complaining also has, like fear, it's origin in fear.  We fear we are not good enough.  We fear we won't succeed.  We fear that we won't be liked.  We fear that if we don't complain we won't get what we need.  God doesn't want us to complain or fear.
     I don't want you to misunderstand what I am saying.  I have done more than my share of complaining and had more than my share of fears dictate the directions my life has taken.  I have seen my compensating for this complaining and these fears sabotage not only my life but the lives of those I love and care about.  Being held captive by the prison of complaining only serves to keep me living in the past.  Why can't we just go back to Egypt?!  All people have a history of living in the past.  Some actually think this is normal and healthy.  It's not.  I think we need to learn from the past so that history does NOT repeat itself.  That requires us to remember but not be imprisoned by what we remember.  As if we don't do this enough to ourselves; we do this towards others and they do this towards us.  We maintain the prison because of our fear to move forward.  If we are immobilized in our lives than we want others to be of the same frame of mind.  Together we complain, live in fear and do nothing for ourselves, others or God.
     The act of complaining and of exhibiting fear are actually sins.  They are from the pit of hell and are authored by the father of lies, Satan.  Wow!  That's a strong statement!  Yes it is.  It's also the truth and that same author doesn't like the truth.  Why?  Because, as the Bible says, "the truth shall set you free."  Why do we fight this transformation so strongly?  I would like to suggest that to do so would bring us out of our comfort zone and to a place where we actually do something for God.  When we are immobilized by complaining and fear we are ineffective for God.  At least I am.  When I am ineffective for God I begin to question my self worth.  When I question my self worth I take my eyes off Jesus who is the author and finisher of my faith.  As that happens the world becomes my guide and measurement of who I am.  The downward spiral begins and ends with me.  I can either believe what God says or I can believe what Steve says.  I cannot believe both.  I cannot exercise both.  They cannot live within the same time and space.  I have the choice each and every moment of each and every day.
   So do you.  What are you going to do?  Complain and fear?  I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment