Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Craigslist Christians

     What?!  I'm one of them and there are others as well.  I have lots of favorite places to go on Craigslist but my favorite is Free Stuff!  Who doesn't like free?  I've found lots of good to great free stuff.  Some is for myself, some are to fix and sell and yet others are there to put in my truck and take to the local mission.  People who know me know that I do this.  There are varied responses and most have become accustomed to my system and it's rewards.  There are certain areas where I look for specific items.  Want higher quality items?  Go to areas around you with more affluent residents.  Want good higher quality garden stuff?  Go to the rural areas.  Sometimes the item I like are next door and sometimes I've driven 50 miles to pick up.  I guess I'm a kind of "picker" in my own right.  This skill has been honed over the years and I no longer waste so much time online.  I went to one free items garage sale and arrived to find at least 8 tables lining the driveway.  I met the man overseeing the sale and learned that most everything was free.  He was a big guy and I'm a big guy so I did find a couple of things that would work for me.  BUT!  His wife and sister had left him with this dubious task and he was tired of sitting and waiting in his rural setting.  I give regularly to the local mission.  A plan was hatched and I drove away with almost everything he had to offer.  My Expedition was completely filled.  There was only room for me to drive.  I came home and put my couple of items in the house before going to the mission.  They were ecstatic!   There was a huge pile of clothing, kitchen goods, and personal items in the delivery.  It's what Jesus would have done.
     Craigslist also has other wonderful Christian opportunities.  Take for instance the community section.  I located a person in need recently.  She has cancer and was waiting for surgery and treatment.  Her husband couldn't handle it and left her without means to pay bills and take care of simple personal need.  She needed help with wood for her fireplace which was her only means of heat.  Because of my ability to find things, I located a man who delivered a cord of wood and stacked it near her house so it was easily acceptable.  I also located a shower chair for when she would come home from the hospital.  She was inquiring why I was doing this for her.  I answered that I was doing what Christ would do.  This baffled her for a bit but opened the door for additional witnessing.  She called one day and her sewer was backed up.  She wondered if I could find something in my bag of tricks to help.  I am retired so I went up and unplugged her pipes.  Not big deal for me.  A huge big deal for her.  Actions like this convince those who are wary that a Christ message was not only safe but also an open door.  Only if we are able and willing to be Christ to those around us.
     Finally, I have found that there are many people who are lost and alone seeking meaning for their lives and what's happening in their lives.  Since I love to listen and help when and where I can and I'm retired, it's become a wonderful ministry for me.  Most people know that there is help out there even if all that's needed is a listening ear.  I've connected with so many people who just want to be heard and to know that someone, anyone, is there to listen, believe and cares about them and their situation.  Some are on the verge of suicide while other's are just trying to struggle and survive another day.  There can be no misunderstanding that not everyone is capable of ministering in this way.  I've the training and experience to do so.  But everyone can listen!  You and I can listen to these folks just as we do so with our Christian environment.  When we come down to it, we are all just beggars looking for food.  Some have it and others know where these needs can be found.  No one is equipped to do everything.  Everyone is equipped to do something.  It's what Christ would do.  It's what we should do.  Remember that it's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment