Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Chapter 20. For in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 rejoices in the truth.


       “It is” refers to the previous chapter’s subject.  Aridity equates being barren or unproductive because of lack of moisture.  Disenchantment forms when one is no longer enchanted with something.  In this case, the author infers, that love has dried up and lost its magic.  People do not get excited by lies.  It’s not one of those things that most people can’t wait to get home and tell the family about.  Lies tear apart, tear down and tear out of people basic and intrinsic happiness and contentment.  Yet, when lies create an environment filled with aridity and disenchantment the truth has not died.  I’m reminded of my lawn as a means of example.  My lawn is green.  I enjoy my lawn and the time I spend in the yard brings me some measure of pride.  But, I have a problem.  Part of the lawn is filled with a renegade grass that goes dormant on me and leaves a brown spot in the lawn.  Oh, it’s not dead!  This grass has been called a lot of names but never dead.  The roots, when pulled, can be several feet long.  The roots don’t go down but fan out horizontally spurring new growth as it attempts to take over my lawn.  I know that the brown spot (love) only sleeps and will be awakened at the proper time.  This is a truth I know!  The disciples faced this dilemma when Jesus was arrested, crucified and buried in the tomb.  The love of God felt suddenly heavy and even dead.  What to do?  Let’s wait and see.  Then 3 days later the resurrection and love lives.  We can rejoice in the truth despite what we knew or experienced. 

       For those of you who either went through the Great Depression or have parents who did, you know what aridity is.  You’ve lived the life of no hope as the wind blew the topsoil away.  Families grew disillusioned and gave up hope that anything good could come of this terrible time in history.  Soon the families that were still alive moved on.  Hearing rumors of work or better times elsewhere they disengaged their life and sought a new one.  Families died staying where they were and where they moved to.  The Great Depression changed the face of not only the nation but also the world.  When events such as this befall us, we seek the answer to the “why?” question for which there is seldom a truthful answer.  So, we make up excuses which are really only lies to give us a reason to have false hope.  The Great Depression did not suddenly overnight launch itself upon us.  Anything of this magnitude will slowly intrude into our lives until its ready to drop the other foot.  We are left asking “What happened?”  We haven’t prepared for this disaster and don’t know how to deal with this event.  Soon, those who were of some authority are no longer listened to.  The predictions become dull hopes rather than rational thought of what would happen next.  People gave up hope.  When at its worst, hope died too.  The hopelessness was like a swift disease walking its way over our country.  No one was immune to its death like grip on mankind and the earth as well.  After some time, the land rejuvenated itself and everything but mankind went back to normal over time.  Mankind never knew normal again.  Life was lived under the shadow of what had been.  Decades later we still learn of this person storing up should another devastation take place. 

        I’m also reminded of the story of Job in the Old Testament.  Satan approached God and asked God for permission to inflict various hurts that were intended to bring Job to a place of sin.  The sin?  The sin would be unbelief that God was in control, doing what he needed to do.  Job lost his children, cattle and other animals and his wife.  All his fortune was taken from him along with his servants and their families.  Job was left alone with nothing but three ill advising friends.  In the end Job approaches God and asks the why question.  God tells him that he is the God who can do anything he wishes, and Job has no justification to ask why.  That sounds harsh.  And harsh it is.  Eventually, the Bible tells us, Job has all that he lost returned to him.  To be honest with you I don’t to ever be in either predicament.  Keep the Great Depression and Job’s lesson away from me!  Yet, misfortune comes to many every day.  Every day believers and unbelievers alike as seemingly thrust into the fire or pulled out of the comfort of their lives. 

       On June 13, 2009 I had one of those experiences.  The day planned wasn’t the day ending anything like I ever could imagine.  I was scheduled to go into surgery for my right shoulder rotor cuff repair.  So, everyone did their job prepping me for surgery.  Eventually I was moved into the operating room.  Once there I was asked to help move myself from the gurney to the operating table.  I’m a big guy and understood their request.  What I didn’t think about was the small amount of anesthesia that has been given to me just before going to that operating room.  As I straddled between the two beds the anesthesia hit me and down I went.  I was out.  The attendants had grabbed the belt around my torso and kept me from hitting the floor.  I was placed on the operating table and put in what they call the beach chair position.  The surgery took way longer than anticipated and I ended up being on the table in that position from 9 AM until about 5 PM.  After the surgery I was taken back to recovery where my wife was waiting for me.  When I woke, I was told, I was screaming of pain to my back.  Then I woke up enough to remember what I felt.  I was paralyzed from the waist down!  What took place over the next week could only be described as something other than medical care.  Apparently when I fell the belt caught my back and damaged the disc between my vertebrae in precisely the place the nerves enter and exit for everything below my waist.  Seven days later I left the hospital semi ambulatory.  I spent the next couple of months trying to learn to walk again.  And I began to get mad.  Never in my life have I had so many professionals not been professional at all.  The hospital and doctors denied that anything had happened.  Their care for the injury post-surgery spoke the opposite truth.  What was once a respected practice now becoming suspect.  And where was God when all of this was destroying my life.  My life became filled with aridity and disenchantment.  The truth previously held seemed to fade away.  For the next 3 years I shut down and climbed inside my misery.  Chose to not read my Bible or pray.  I did go to church.  Mostly to please my wife.

       Slowly, I came to the same point Job had and was given the same answer.  All my life prior to this event was based on the belief that God was in charge and had a purpose for all that happened in our lives.  That somehow these events would bring forth good where we (I) could only see negative.  Getting back to where I am today has been a long and trying journey.  I’ve been able to see the professionals they are who do make mistakes even as I do.  I’ve been able to tell my story to help others in their struggles.  So, good has come out of it.  Prior to this recovery it would have done you no good to remind me that the truth would win.  The truth wasn’t even recognizable to me much less applicable.  My journey has brought about different perspectives in my life that balance that which I experienced with that which I know to be true.  Truth will always win out.  We don’t necessarily like it when truth takes a right at third base instead of going home.  However, we do learn to deal with it and go on.  “Been there. Done that.” pretty well tells the story of my life.  If that was where the story ended my life would be a sad one.  But, that isn’t where the story ends for any of us.

       The Desiderata and the Bible verse on love both want us to keep our focus on that which adds to life and nurtures life.  This is no big secret.  The triumphs people have been more likely to be told and retold than the bottom of the gutter reality of before.  What do people think when we are down in the dumps?  Is there a consensus between our friend, family and others that the best approach is a hasty retreat?  In order to be a real people, we need to evaluate whether we are willing to be there all the way through.  You might be reliving your down times even as you read these words.  Your pain may have surfaced in what you read.  Perhaps the phrases I have penned are the same ones you used.  Maybe you haven’t made it out of the time and place and feel stuck and hopeless.  I don’t know.  These are what I felt. 

       The paradox is that Jesus has told us to trust no man.  He knows all our hearts and can with a high measure of validity speak about what is in mankind.  So, when he says that we should not trust mankind; we should listen.  We shouldn’t even trust our own selves.  We should trust God even when we don’t feel we can.  A little belief is better than no belief.  As I look back over my life I would categorize my life as one filled with challenges.  Consequently, those who were and are attached to me were also filled with those challenges to one degree or another.  It doesn’t seem fair but maybe, just maybe God wants to teach someone else a lesson and has put you or me in the middle of this lesson.  We didn’t ask to be put into that lesson.  We certainly don’t want to be there.  We can only see the smaller picture.  The bigger picture will only be revealed later to where we can see the necessity of our going through this or that. 

       That truth will be revealed when it’s the right time and place.  We are only asked to have faith that God is doing what he deems best for his creation.  We are asked to trust that God knows what he is doing.  The people in the middle of the Dust Bowl did not see anything that would tell them that God was in this event.  Nor did they see anything that even remotely resembled the love of God.  What they did see was abandonment in spite of their hope.  Eventually the hope was gone as well.  An arid and disenchanted people stood in dust up to their ankles and showed no hope in their eyes.  It wouldn’t be until much later that anyone could be found to say anything positive about the Great Depression.  Good did come out of that lesson.  Hopefully we won’t need to relearn that lesson…ever.

       For me, the dormant grass of my faith has sprung to life and though there are still lots of reminders of that event, I’m focused on moving forward.  When it’s time, God will show me what the lesson was for.  Perhaps he has already done so and it’s in this chapter for you who might be where I was or where I am. 

       In May of 1985 as a police officer I was sent to a call of a suicidal subject.  I located him in a desolate part of the city where I worked.  We had been told he was armed and approached the call with that in mind.  I began to talk with him.  Trying to gain his attention I asked him questions that were innocuous.  At one point he looked away from me and then back to me.  If I could just get eye contact, we might come out of this alright.  He then looked out in front of himself and in front of me shot himself.  Now if I was a character in a show on TV or a movie on the big screen the incident wouldn’t have affected me, and it would have meant back to work on the next case.  But I wasn’t a character on TV.  I was a human being living life through a real-time event.  Unlike the TV or movie story, this was one event that in reality ended a person’s life. I had training and wasn’t a newbie out of the academy.  Yet, here was one event that was destined to bring havoc into my world.  Why this had taken place and in front of me was an unanswered question until the winter of 1998. 

       Now a pastor, I was sitting in my office when my church chairman came into the office.  He talked a bit and then told me the story of his helping a lady who was broken down on the freeway.  He had exited his car and she had done the same for her car.  Her 13-year-old daughter was in the front passenger seat.  When she stepped around the door of her van she was struck by a passing car.  He body was thrown into the air and dropped at the feet of my chairman.  When he got to this point in the story he almost froze.  In 1995 I was in an incident that resembled this one in 1998 that my chairman was in.  God now showed me the answer to the “why” question.  It was to equip me to help my friend work through the issues that were plaguing him.  You see, what we see as crazy or foolish God sees as part of the plan.  From 1995 until 1998 I did not know the answer to my “why” question.  Then I did.  If we can look at events in our lives as having meant and a future implication we would be in a decent place for God to work through us.  If we have faith as a mustard seed, the grass will grow green again.  God is at work in you and me and he isn’t finished yet. 

        Just as I have had this experience over and over; I’m sure that there are those reading this who can say, “Amen.”  When we link these experiences together we begin to see the pattern of God’s hand in our lives and the lives of others.  The event may be stopping to help someone on the side of the road.  It may be praying for someone who is sick.  Perhaps it’s answering a repeated “why” for a 3-year-old.  In any case, we are part of God’s mission to the unsaved of the world.  We should take our calling seriously.  The picture is way bigger than you or me.  Do we live our lives in such a way that would tell others they are important to God?  Do we convey the immediate need for salvation in their lives? 

       Men are different but the same.  For the most part men are hunters and gatherers.  They have in mind what they want, how many they want and know where that item is in the store.  They arrive and leave the dogs in the truck (alright I like the stereotype) and enter the store.  They don’t need any help and most attendants do not ask.  Men go into a store with a purpose and that look is all over his body language.  They walk over to the socket wrenches, select one with their eyes, pick it up, go through checkout and go home in the truck with the dogs.  It’s not complicated until a woman comes along.  Men’s rules are deemed null and void and the men begin to go to the arid and disenchantment route.  After looking at the same rack of trousers (for him) he begins to wonder about the choice to go with her to do this task.  His pants size hasn’t changed in 20 years and he always get the same brand.  She has had one over her left arm as she looks at different ones with her right hand.  Finally, she says, “Let’s get this one.” And there is rejoicing in the truth.  Truth has set them free and he can go home.  That is until next time.  See, I told you the grass will always come back.

       How much you and I allow aridity and disenchantment enter our lives depends on our choices.  When we are “love” focused the two of them should not enter the picture.   There is not a good reason for us to lose our faith in God.  We make up a few bad reasons, but good reasons don’t exist.  God hasn’t changed.  He didn’t change through the huge events in history.  The Great Depression didn’t change God.  The wars did not change God.  My loss of the use of my legs did not change God.  God never changes.  He is always the same.  God decided a long time ago that he was for us.  However, his being for us in predicated upon our believing that he knows best, has a plan and wants the best for us in his time.

       While others engage the aridity and disenchantment the Christian can rejoice in the truth.  In both cases the love of God is present.  There will always be others who see the glass at least half empty.  Others will engage in that which is contrary to God’s plan.  I have.  Didn’t do well with my decision.  Then I made a better decision and things seem to be going well.  Telling myself the truth has been a big part of that movement in my life.  Let the truth about love be a big part of your life as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment