Sunday, December 3, 2017

Chapter 17. Be yourself. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 not irritable


       As a therapist working with a group of men, I once gave the assignment for them to answer the question, “Who am I?”  The instructions I gave them included putting themselves in the place where everything they hold dear in their lives was gone.  Spouse, parents, children, car, dog, everything gone.  I asked them to think again about anything else that needed to be eliminated so that they could honestly answer the question.  If everything in your life that you put any value on is gone; what would be left?  That would by the real you.  This was a very difficult assignment and the men came back at the next session and asked more clarifying questions.  I answered their questions but would not budge on the homework.  The following week they came into group a different group of men.  I asked them to read aloud their answers to the group.  During each one many of the men cried silently.  The hurt and loneliness so real you could feel it in the air.  This was the same homework I had done many years earlier with my therapist.  The day I read it in front of him and wept I knew there was a lot of work ahead of me.  The phrase “be yourself” was a transient phrase that had a past, was living in the now and was unknown in the future.  The question for me and for the men was one that would propel us to finding out who we were.  This exercise would open a door as we asked ourselves if we wanted to remain as we were, static as we are or changed as we would become.  Perhaps you have wrestled with this question.  Perhaps you are wrestling with this question.  Perhaps you have settled the question.  Maybe the work is only partially done, and you have lost your way.  If you have settled the question you are no longer internally irritable.  Why?  Because there is inner peace that given space increases over time.  It’s like slowly being invaded by a good friend.

       So, who are you?  Why is it important to know the answer to this question?  If you don’t know the answer to the question you most likely are living at least part of your life on other people’s expectations.  I was sitting with a friend of mine one day and he was lamenting the annual family gathering at the “old home.”  This activity used up his vacation every year as he was expected to be there.  His wife and kids didn’t like to go for their various reasons.  I suggested he make other plans this year.  His answer was a loud “NO!”  When he had calmed down he said not going was out of the question.  The ramifications of those in the family who had attended would be heaped upon him and his family every day of the entire next year.  They WOULD be expected to be back in the fold the following year with apology in hand.  I’m thinking he was a bit irritated.  He knew he was.  This is not love.  This is not even like. 

       Just as there was an Aunt who was responsible for this and an uncle that was responsible for that, there were positions and jobs for everyone in the family.  There were EXPEXTATIONS placed on each family or family member at the reunion.  They stayed together on the farm in the house, tents and trailers alongside RV’s.  Food and drink were plentiful but only what the family had imbibed in the past.  Am I telling anyone else’s story here?  Is this ringing true for you?  Did you get examined and questioned to make sure you were still good enough for the rest of the family?  Did you dare bring a new recipe to the dinner table? 

       Did it matter to anyone who you were?  Did it matter to anyone who you were away from the family?  Did they even want to know your future plans?  Free to be me?  I don’t think so.  Free to not have this laid on my wife and kids?  Not at all.  Did the wife and kids complain all the way there and remain silent all the way home?  Was it a fun vacation?  Did your cousins embarrass you yet again in front of your kids and you did nothing? 

       The Bible tells us to “train up your children in the way they should go and when they are old they will not depart from it.”  This is not a good time to argue with Grandma about the Scripture.  She gets quite irritated you know.  Grandpa tells you to just leave her and it alone.  He wants what peace there is in silence.  Did we train them good enough to pass the inspection?  Was there any praise for you little girl who was an honor student or was the family so full of shock over the clothes she wore that they didn’t even hear?  Your son was a soccer hero for his team?  Why wasn’t baseball good enough for him?  It was good enough for the other men in the family.  Your wife’s job is great!  What?  She is working out of the home?  Who is there for the kids when she’s not there?  You, dad/son/grandson, are the homemaker now because she can earn more money than you?  What do you need more money for?  You want to tell them so that you can pay for the family reunion.  But you don’t.  Everyone is smiling on the outside and irritated on the inside. 

       So, who are you?  Who tells you who you are?  Did you have a “job” in the family?  Mine was to take my dad’s anger.  No one else wanted the job and I had no choice.  I quit my job when I was 36.  The position doesn’t pay beans, and no one wants to apply for the job.  Perhaps there are people in your life (family, friends, jobs, bosses, and the government to name a few) who not only want you within a certain box but expect you to stay inside of the box.  Color between the lines and never color a cow purple!  Never!  More irritation.  The irritation seems to come at you and me from all directions and most of the time uninvited.  At least I don’t invite irritation.  Okay, some of the time but not very often anymore.  The world (previously listed) tell you to go and “be yourself”.  They don’t mean it.  It’s a token statement to take care of an obligation they don’t really believe in.

       Do you want to know who you are?

       What do you mean it doesn’t irritate you that much?

       Just stay with me a bit and we can see what those two words really mean.  There won’t be a test afterword, and no one will be evaluated.  Any examination given will be by the Holy Spirit and you on your time table.  It’s a scary expedition we go on.  However, we do want to know how to live with ourselves.  Doing so shouldn’t be so hard and complicated.  Jesus didn’t promise us complex or impossible.  Let’s take it nice and easy.  Grab a cup of tea or coffee and a cookie or two and relax.  It’s okay to get coffee, tea or cookies on the book.  It doesn’t matter.  Take a few slow breaths and try to relax.  See, aren’t you doing much better already?  God tells us that he will not put on us anything we cannot bear and that if there is too much he will make the way out.  I love back doors! 

       I must confess that I have secrets.  Yes, it’s true.  But then we all do.  Jesus knows ALL my secrets and those close to me know most of them.  The secrets are in my past.  They are in the alleyways in my mind and rarely bother me anymore.  Okay, sometimes they do.  Secrets are neither good nor bad.  They are secrets.  Things that need not be known by others.  We as a people tend to villianize secrets.  What does he/she have to hide?  Busy bodies want to know so that they can evaluate whether we are better or worse from them.  Most busy bodies want the person or people to be worse than them.  If they aren’t a practice called character assignation is necessary to evoke.  Why can’t people just leave one another alone?  We can be at peace with our secrets, but others won’t be most likely because they aren’t at peace with their secrets.  My secrets cannot hurt me anymore as they have no more power over me. 

       I have a personal history.  Most of it died as time went on.  However, there are those who want my history front and center so that I can be used as an example.  It’s no wonder his kids turned out like they did!  Like secrets, history is something that people seem to cling to when they feel threatened or insecure in who they are.  People seem to miss out that I have positive as well as negative history.  I wonder why that is.  You have a personal history also.  Some of it known and some of it secret.  Perhaps you are the only one who knows THAT secret!  Do secrets and history make up who you are?  I don’t think so.  They had a place in training you to be who you are today.  However, they did not play that big of a part. 

       I have fears.  Yes, it’s true.  I’m afraid of spiders.  Terrified!  So bad that my wife must kill spiders that are anywhere near me.  I don’t think there was any good reason to create spiders and have told God so.  He disagrees.  Something needs to eat the flies.  Great, I should move to a place where there are no flies.  I have other fears as well.  Ones that may not strike your funny bone or you Achilles tendon.  Fear has been a first response in me and for me from my very first memory.  My life was based on fear and history and secrets.  Maybe you too have a life script written around these three?  If you do you are with good company. 

       Secrets, history and fears keep you from trying to find yourself.  And you cannot be yourself unless you let go of the secrets, history and fears.  Quite the daunting task for everyone I know.  I also know that going through the journey gives you peace and freedom.  You will get as much relief as you give.  Go at the task without reality will lead to defeat.  Many have begun a work only to abandon the task when the going got tough.  That’s right, I quit a few times too.  This is a time to be gentle with yourself.  Jesus is always gentle with us.  It’s the nature of goodness and grace that leads us through the desert.  Being gentle and graceful is a part of who you are. Give yourself permission to be forgiving of your past.  Take the power of who you are back.  The past has nothing to do with who you are now. 

       There is fact and then there is what others say is fact.  We have been fed information from our conception forward.  Some of it was fact and the rest were what others say is fact.  Information abounds in this technical age.  You can hop on the internet and get information on pretty much anything you can think of.  Here is the fact:  sometimes the internet information is what others say the fact is.  It’s a lie.  Simple if you ask me.  Treat everything as a lie until it’s proven to be a real fact.  That’s what I did with Jesus for years.  Taunting him with my futile taunts.  He knew I would do that.  He also knew when I would give up.  Not on Him but on me and my life.  What are the facts in his mind?  We need only read in the Bible that we were knit together by the hand of God in our mother’s womb.  It also says that He knows the content of every day of our lives before we were conceived.  In Revelation he tells us that whoever overcomes will be given a new name.  The first Biblical reference was in Psalms.  He knew me before I was conceived….  Then in revelation He gives me a new name.  What happened in between?  Well, we were born, and our parents gave us a name and a life they called “fact.”  I want the name that God had for me before I was conceived.  I believe that that name is the one I will receive when I enter his presence.  Maybe it will be Steven.  I just don’t know.

       Using this example, we can have confidence that God does indeed know who we are.  He also knows what we have been defined by in this world.  He has wept with you even as he has wept with me.  He has laughed with you and me even when we weren’t laughing!  He knows our past and erased all the sin.  It’s gone.  Jesus went further than that. He died on the cross not only for my past sin but also my present sin and future sin.  Wow!  So, who is the downer reminding us who they think we are?  They aren’t from God.  I don’t care what church they go to.  I don’t care who they are in society.  I don’t care what they think you owe them.  All they want is to keep you in slavery.  Jesus equals freedom.  The past equals prison.  Hmmmm…choices choices.  What are you going to do?  Okay, this is where you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to make the good informed choice based on real fact.  Choose Jesus.

       Choosing Jesus means letting go of the secrets, the history and fears.  When you let them go, you will encounter the “you” that God made.  The one he intended you to be before time began and intends you to be when time ends.  This is not about being in therapy for the rest of your life.  It’s also not about alienating everyone who isn’t joining you on your journey.  Neither is it about quitting your job and joining a commune outside of New York City.  Yes, there are several out there.  You don’t need to disappear and “start over” somewhere.  Whatever that means.  I’ve discovered that wherever I am, my mind has come along.  You cannot escape the past as it is part of your memory.  You can have victory over it.  The control can be released.  Freedom can be had.  When everything is removed from your life that you care about; what is left. 

       When I was contemplating this question, I had been a Christian for at least 10 years at the time.  I knew Jesus had saved me.  That was never the question.  The question was; who was I in the world I lived in.  Who was I as a dad, husband, friend, sibling and whatever else there was. I didn’t know the fact answer.  I only knew what those others had told me were facts.  Some were, and some weren’t.  Jesus never left me wondering who I was in Him.  Wrestling in the world with this issue brought me frustration and irritation.  Remember that is how you can tell it’s not love or fact.  If you know what the love of God is, you can use that as the measure of all that comes into your life or before you.  If it’s not from God, reject it.  It’s that simple and that complex.  Remember you will have to go back to the family reunion sooner or later.  If you truly have peace with God, the reunion will be no problem.  Maybe a few will ask you what you did to become free.  They will notice.  The truth is obvious and before us.  If we are living in freedom in Christ, we know who we are.  They will notice.  They will want what you have.

       My group of men were at this point after the readings were done.  More lost and alone than they had ever been.  Without laying this foundation for them ahead of time my exercise would have been dangerous and cruel.  One by one they, over time, embraced Christ and were set free.  They were a new creation and could tell everyone that they were a whole person with Christ at the center of their lives.  Who are they?  They are Gods children.  The once daunting question of “who are you” now was answered.  They were Gods kids.  Their past was gone and their future wide open.  They entertained fact now and not what someone said was fact.  Part of the gift God gives us is the ability to discern (judge) that which is right and good.  The Holy Spirit within us gives us the “nod” on what is right and good.  He also warns us when people are speaking falsely to us.  Which are you listening to? 

       So, here we are.  We have looked at one of the toughest questions in the life of man.  Everything that could be said hasn’t been said here.  It wouldn’t fit into any of the books on earth.  However, it can be summed up in simple words.  Who am I?  I am Gods child.  I am never alone and will never be alone.  I am loved with the purest love man has every touched.  The condemnation is gone whether people want it gone or not.  I refuse to feel bad, so you can feel good.  Did you hear me?  I don’t belong to you.  I belong to God.  Did you catch that?  God’s truth trumps your truth every day of the year.  His truth lasts for eternity.  Yours will die with you.  What is the legacy you want to leave when you go home?  I want people to say that Steve knew that he was God’s child and that was good enough.  I don’t find myself so irritated today.  Guess that’s a good thing.

       It’s time for you to make your decision.  Will you choose to die and rise with Christ as Lord of your life?  I hope so.  Your life depends on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment