Friday, November 10, 2017

Why the fear of death and dying?

     Dying and death are two of the events in life that are going to happen.  Except if Jesus comes back and takes us home.  I, personally, prefer the rapture to any other choice.  Yet, we all are faced with the issue daily.  No one is promised tomorrow or even the rest of today.  Still we fill our calendars and make plans years out to be or do this or that.  It's all for naught.  For the Christian death and dying should be non-issues personally yet remain active in that we are called to those who are lost.  Bringing them to spiritual life from their dead in the world status.  Yes, we all will face physical death with our friends, families, enemies, and the like.  Yes, we will have grief to move through in order to move on.  So, why do so many fear death?  What is it that we find so overwhelming that we scarce talk about it.  Is it the loss of someone in our life that produces our denial?  Is our own demise so overwhelming that we don't talk about being "gone" from this world?  I believe that death and dying are almost sacred topics that aren't talked about because people are afraid.  So what does that have to say about "perfect love casts out all fear"?  As Christian parents we do our children and others no favor not discussing this.  Just as we are called to teach others how to live, we are called to teach others how to die as well.
     My daughter told me that one of her fears is her loved ones dying.  Another fear is the loss others would have to go through if she were to die.  So, we talked about it.  Open and direct.  That's one of a dad's jobs.  It's imperative that I have my own place of peace with the topic lest I become one of those who says one thing and does another.  I don't fear death.  Maybe it's strange.  I know that there will be losses in life.  I've been involved in death in so many different ways.  Not much of it has been pleasant.  From babies to the very aged death visits on a regular basis in our lives.  There is so much we fear that we become immobilized and do nothing.  I was asked by a good Christian friend why I don't fear death.  I told him that my last exhale here signifies my first inhale in Christ's presence.  It's that quick and that simple.  The process leading up to then isn't always pleasant though.  It's that which we fear and dredges up thoughts of the pain and suffering of others.  The actual movement from here to there is simply exhale here and inhale here. I won't be gone from your life as long as you remember me.  I'll be in the next room with Jesus.
     My life is dotted with so many contacts with death and dying that sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one.  Obviously, I am not.  On April 14th 2014 I died and went to a place where I was on a brilliant path that led into heaven.  As I began to walk towards that place of incredible peace I looked around and noticed those going with me.  Just as soon as I looked around I heard the voice of God tell me my life wasn't over and I needed to go back.  I was torn between staying and going.  But back I went and am telling my story and your story ever since.  The reality for the Christian is their story isn't over either.  There are masses of people who are still dead in the world who need Christ and the life He brings.  If we don't go to them, who will?  If we don't tell them, who will?  If we don't pray for them, who will?  Our job is far from being done.  It's done when we pass from here to there.  Then you too might come back to do some more.  The sadness in the Christian world is that so many aren't telling anyone about life but still conjuring up images of how terrible death will be.  What is it you want your loved ones (especially children) to know?  When will you tell them?  Remember it's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment