Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Christian friends and blessings

     I'm sure many of you, like me, have been blessed with friends in our lives with whom we share the faith, life and will share eternity.  These Christ to us people are not as plentiful as one might suspect.  They are the rarity in our lives as they come and go through the years.  They know us and we know them intimately.  Our spirits connect and yearn to be with each other for any reason.  These Christ to us people don't think about themselves encouraging us to do the same.  When we receive or give the blessing that Christ has given us we cannot help but not be blessed.  These friends can be lifelong or for a short duration with a specific purpose.  God sends these people in and out of our lives because he knows our and their needs.  Mutually edifying each other and bringing glory to God is the end result.  As I look back over my Christian life since October 1, 1972, I can see the hand of God through godly men and women who have helped form my life.  I know that if we were to meet again that we would pick up as if we had never parted.  That's the kind of friendship that God wants us to have.  Friends we can rejoice as well as grieve with.  Friends we can love and yet have our own space with.  Friends who refuse to abandon us when we pull away.  Being Christ to others looks just like this.
     This morning I was reflecting on this topic and the reason was a visit to a friend yesterday and my daily chat brother.  Jerry lives in Washington and Steve lives in Arizona.  Hence the  visit on one hand and the chat on the other.  Whenever I hear from either of them I'm reminded of the Psalm that states: "News from a far country is like water to a thirsty soul."  That goes both ways.  Whether we are blessing others or they are blessing us, God's blessings fall upon everyone.  That's part of the reason why God tells us to pray for and bless those who hate and persecute you and I.  So that the blessings of heaven will fall upon both they and us.  There is no room for anything but for Jesus in such an act of Christian love.  Jerry and Steve are a continual blessing to me.  They know me, accept me, and love on me.  The feelings are the same from my point of view to them.  Letting oneself be known requires trust in Christ.  If we trust in our judgement (discernment) of others we will always be found lacking that essential spiritual connection among Christians.  There have been many through the years that the "known and be known" element rings true.  It's nothing I have earned.  It's what we have been blessed with by the grace, love, and mercy of Christ Jesus.
     My life is lived in a state of positive discontent.  That's a statement that I coined after going through a huge canyon in my life.  Coming out on the other side brought me to the conclusion that I am thankful for all that I've been through and have learned volume's about myself as well as others.  I'm content in that.  I'm discontent in that there is so much to be discovered and surprised with from God.  I yearn to go home but know that God's purpose for me here on earth isn't over.  That's what's so great about the love of God!  We get to go home after our mission given by him is done.  Wow!  That feeling is what I feel with Jerry and Steve but magnified a thousand more times.  When I hear from God, I'm told that I'm loved and blessed.  When God hears from me he knows how important He is in my life.  There's no getting around the question.  Being a friend with God means you have accepted His life first and then passed on that life to others.  You have received the love of God that you don't deserve and as a result you are asked to pass that love onto others regardless of whether you think they need it or not.  So, what are you going to do?  Remember, it's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment