Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Christians should NOT mind their own business

     We have some of the greatest examples in evangelical Christianity of people who didn't know how to mind their own business.  I've been on both ends of the equation.  Sometimes I've minded my business and other times I've minded other's business.  You have too if you can look at yourself and be honest.  Being able to differentiate when we should and should not mind our own businesses is invaluable.  I can't do that on my own.  Why?  Because I'm involved in the process and often lose my objectivity.  I know that I need to get out of the way so that Christ can be objective through me.  That way no one gets hurt feelings, bruised ego's, and defensive.  I haven't always been a fan of involving myself in other people's lives.  Probably because I grew up with people who minded my business!  So, it's not so much that we mind other's people's business but rather that we have a mind, heart and soul that is tempered by the Holy Spirit  Without his guidance, we can't do what God wants in the lives of those he brings in our path.  If my intentions are to make people like me, my minding their business is purely the sin of selfishness.  If my intentions are to help people see Jesus and so hungry for Him, then God is working though me.  He does this with all who call themselves Christian.
     For example, God created in each of us free will.  He is the God of all creation and has a plan for you and I to live loving others as he loves us.  He ALWAYS has the best of intentions when he minds our business.  The opposite, Satan doesn't want us free to be whom God created us to be.  He wants us to mind other's business so that we can join in their sin.  All of this is to push people away from God and the good he wants for us.  I was once told the story of a wise old man who was with his grandson.  The grandson had been having a difficult time with people.  He asked his grandfather why he didn't have that problem.  His grandfather told him that in each of us there are two wolves fighting for our possession of our life.  His grandson asked him what happened between the two wolves and their fighting.  His grandfather told him, "The one I feed is the one who wins."  All of us have the two wolves within us.  They are named "self" and "selfless".  The one we feed is the one who wins.  I know I've had many times in my life when I've fed the wrong wolf.  My world and the people in my life have suffered because of that choice.  I try to feed the right wolf as much as I can at this time in my life.
     Christians have a commandment they are charged with.  That commandment is three part.  First, we are to love the widow caring for her as Christ cared for us.  Second, we are to love the orphan and care for them as Christ cared for them.  Third, we are commanded to go into all the world and make disciples of all mankind.  Sounds so simple when we say that.  However, it's not simple at all.  The only way it can work is when we choose the selfless life that Christ gave as an example.  That means he entered into your and my business with a motive.  How about love?  That's a great motive.  Do you mind other's business out of love or out of selfishness?  We need to assess our Christian calling and check out how God wants us to be minding other's business.  It's the only way the Word can be given to the lost.  We all have lost people in our sphere of influence.  Be bold and walk in the truth.  Mind someone's business today.  It's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment