Thursday, September 14, 2017

My pathetic excuses!

     It's been said that "if you are looking for an excuse, any excuse will do."  How true!  I've been making excuses in my life since my earliest memories.  I've also been accountable and stopped that process many times.  Feeling we need an excuse is nothing more than justifying our sin.  Here are just a few:

I haven't had my coffee yet.
There doesn't seem to be a rush.
Someone else will do it.
It's not my call.
You take care of it, it's your problem.
I don't feel well.
I haven't had my coffee yet.
She/he made me take this stance.
I don't have enough knowledge.
I don't want to do it.
It's too much work.
God knows that I love him.
I need to relax and watch TV not interact with people
What about me?
I don't want to offend anyone.
I haven't had my coffee yet.

     Were there any of these that are yours?  We choose to determine what is necessary and what is not in our lives.  None of the excuses takes responsibility.  Taking responsibility is  something responsible people do.  If you are making excuses you too are not a responsible disciple of Jesus.  Instead of excuses we should be listening and then doing what God wants regardless of the consequences.  Would you rather be known as that person who denies their faith to keep that relationship, work position, or status quo?  Or, would you rather be known by God to have not made an excuse.  We look more to the negative consequences than we do the positive and thus put ourselves in the position of choosing to sin and miss out on the positive.  Our definition of positive and negative are usually worldly based.  What would happen if we looked at our excuses from God's definition of negative and positive?  Would you and I make less excuses?  Would we find our need for love, acceptance and approval from God trumps pleasing the world?
     I'm sure that I will continue to make excuses here and there.  You will too.  Being able to see more of God and less of me is exactly what the world needs.  They may not recognize that they have this need until something better is put before them.  That's what it took for God to get my attention so many years ago.  Without God there is no life.  With God there is life abundant.   We just need to get past our excuses and find out what God has planned.  Remember it's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment