Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Either God is or he isn't.

     We don't think if it that way as is evidenced by out thoughts, words and actions.  What we are "comfortable" with is God being far away who can come to our rescue when we get ourselves in a pickle.  I've been there and done that with to often frequency.  What happened?  Why don't we take seriously our relationship with God?  Are we so deceived that we can only see "our" god and not THE God?  Perhaps we are.  Maybe those things that matter most are kicked aside for those things that matter least.  There will be no Thursday night football in heaven.  I know that this takes most of you by surprise.  There will also be no baseball, soccer, Olympics, television, and such in heaven.  What matters most to you?  You have the choice of prayer, reading the Scripture and sharing your faith.  What do you do?  Going out to the bar for a drink?  Smoking some marijuana calling it medicinal?  Sleeping with some other woman/man?  Maybe you just do nothing and call it good.  It isn't making any difference.  Wherever your heart is there is your allegiance.  Think about this every time you have the choice (which is all the time).  Either God is or he isn't. 
     I look back over my Christian lifetime.  My relationship with God began October 1st, 1972 when I was 19.  I was totally dedicated to the Lord and my life reflected that.  I was converted on the mission field that I later served with for 2 1/2 years before returning from Germany to the United States.  My wife was pregnant with our first and we soon settled into the worlds understanding of Christianity.  Yet, I was always discontented that so many Christians settled for less.  Perhaps the problem was that we expected Sunday School to train and raise our children.  Maybe it was he comfort of having to go to church on Sunday and then have the rest of the week free that undermined the tenants of the Christian faith in me.  With my dreams of returning to the mission field going away quicker than I believed, my life turned to supporting my family, work, volunteering, school and going to church...on Sunday.  Over the years things that mattered most drifted into the background (it was my choice) while those that mattered least came to the forefront.  You know the drill.  During my days "away" from God I had sporadic revival in my own faith.  Yet, I continue to drift away and then come back.  I'm not perfect...just forgiven.  Thank God and not god.
     I'm 63 now and the more I have learned the less I know.  With the world a confusing caldron of blackness it's hard to keep both feet in God while being pulled by the god of this world and his demons.  You know how it is, we are both "there" and wish we weren't.  I have 7 children who all have accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior, 5 grandchildren 4 that have chosen likewise.  One is just too young!  There are precious Christians in my life that help me keep ;my track close to where it ought to be.  They struggle too.  So many times I wish my life was as simple and blessed as it was that October night in 1972.  That was a long time ago and yet the same God that met me then continues to meet me now.  It's always been my choice whether or not God was my life or whether I took my life in my own hands...you know the other gods.  It's always your choice as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment