Monday, October 26, 2015

When going forward is the only option.

     I've been reading through the Bible and have just entered the book of Leviticus.  The Israelite's journey has taken them to the beginning of mankind to their potential entry into the promised land.  They were much like you and I in that they took Plan B about as often (or more) than you and I do.  The promised land for us is Heaven.  Until our arrival there we will be forever facing Plan A (God's plan) or Plan B (our plan) choices.  I'd like to say that I always choose Plan A but then I would be lying and a hypocrite.  This is no easy journey for us just as it was no easy journey for the Israelite's.  We make it what it is.  We make the choice.  If they would have made consistent Plan A choices perhaps we would have a different world before us.  That goes for my life as well.  If I had made consistent Plan A choices perhaps my world would be different and the future more hopeful.  Alas, I'm human, fallible and subject to the consequences that I choose in my life.
     It's interesting that Plan A is dependent upon only focusing on the future whereas Plan B is based on remembering and sometimes adhering to the past.  Plan A is where God leads us to be where he knows we will be most blessed and able to bless others the most.  Plan B is where I feel safe and comfortable and settle for what I choose.  Why do I choose to "settle" when I've been promised so much by God if only I would choose Plan A?  There is absolutely nothing I can do about the past.  There are no changes I can make that would alter my consequences of my choices.  There is nothing I can do to undo the damage I've done to my and others lives.  Plan B, looking back, is never a very good choice.  Yes, we can muddle through life on Plan B.  I'm living proof of that.  But, is that the best God wants us to have and be involved in?  So, just for this moment, let's engage the thought of the positive consequences of following Plan A today.  No looking back and only looking at the future from God's perspective.  Quite the challenge but I know we can do this very thing.  You and I following God.
     It's been said that it takes 2 weeks to create or break a habit.  Two weeks of consistent thinking and behavior contrary to the habit we have formed.  I know that some habits turn into addictions and we're talking a more difficult road.  In fact, the greater the choosing of Plan B in our lives, the greater the habit which will eventually turn into an addiction.  Addictions may take longer than 2 weeks to break.  This is especially true if we try to do it on our own.  Allowing the Holy Spirit to speak through the Word, people who love Jesus, and directly to our spirit is primary in overcoming the habit or addiction.  We are a people addicted to the past!  God help us!  We base, for the most part, our lives on the past. What works and what doesn't.  What benefits and what doesn't.  The ability we have innate within us is so buried that we have a hard time believing that God has scripted blessing for our lives if only we would focus on the present day.  This moment.  Now.
     What would change for you if, just for today, you and I were to NOT look back, NOT adhere to old ways, NOT believe the old lies, NOT listen to negativity, and NOT tune out God?  For the Christian, only the forward movement in life is a choice that brings about God's will in and around us.  That's what he has prepared us for.  To go forward as our only option.  

No comments:

Post a Comment