Monday, January 26, 2015

Only when I am awake!

     I'm not a night person and am a morning person.  Most times both are out of my control.  Yet, I've found, the days and nights in my life go on whether I approve of the time or not.  That's good.  During both daytime and nighttime much of life is ongoing without my even being aware of much.  I woke up this morning at 6:00 AM.  It was dark out, the dogs were glad to see me as I went about getting coffee ready.  Today I used my glass on the stove model that you can see through everything.  I love to smell the coffee as it's ground and as its brewed.  Watching the clear water turn to a dark chocolate is captivating and my various senses are rewarded.  Early morning, coffee and dogs seem to set a certain acceptable picture that many can associate.  I've finished my journal, read the Bible, looked at the news (first mistake) and now the sun is melting away the fog so that I can see the end of the back yard.  It's going to be a nice day.  If my morning started with resentment the day following would be resented as well.  If my morning starts with contentment that all is right in this world where I live, then thankfulness flows to the top!
     I'm 61 and have seen so many sunrises and sunsets over the years where they linger too long or happen too quickly.  The "timing" depends on the season, the amount of items on our to do list and our desire to engage our world.  Questions will surface demanding an answer of one sort or another.  The decisions will reflect positively for some and negatively for others.  Most likely there will be those who are offended and those who are not.  Does any of this overwhelm me or bother me?  Do the choices of others disrupt my life or enhance it?  Only when I'm awake.  Being awake, engaged in life and taking care of responsibilities are a privilege.  There are many who won't wake up today.  There will be plenty of people resenting being under the thumb of an employer whose bottom line is profitability at all costs.  Even though I sometimes feel alone in the task, there will be responsibilities fulfilled by others in my life to lighten my burden. 
     When I am asleep there are a myriad of activities going on by those who are not asleep.  As the sleeping one I am charged with getting rest, taking care of being ready for another day and of course knowing what to begin with when I do wake up.  This is all good and well within the physical world we reside.  We also reside in a spiritual world.  Sometime that world clashes with the physical world.  In the spiritual world we can "hide" ourselves and then "get away with" not doing this or that.  People are witnesses to what we present.  When we don't present ourselves as God  designed us to be; his will cannot be accomplished through us.  That can only happen when I'm awake.  Being physically awake is different from spiritually awake.  Physical needs are different from spiritual needs.  Physical needs can be seen, felt, tasted and such.  Spiritual needs are sometimes not seen even as the solution may not be seen.  God works where we cannot or do not want to see.  God wants us out of the way so that we can be and will be his medium to bring the Gospel to those who do not know him.  When do we have this obligation in our Christian lives?  Only when we are awake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment