Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Wants versus needs.

     I want chocolate but I need a carrot.  No, not a carrot cake.  A real carrot.  Have you ever wondered what it would be like to actually grab the carrot dangling in front of you?  You know, the one that represents our selfish desires and not our wants.  I want my family to be happy AND I need them to be happy.  Opps!  Sometimes it's okay to want and need.  The supreme test of our wants and needs is found in our motive for either.  Why do I want and why I need are powerful desires drawing us in whatever direction we give into.  Choosing our want and need becomes a powerful force within us and should be when our motive is Godly.  I want and need Jesus to be my Savior.  Everyone should want and need Jesus as their Savior as well.
     Where do we go wrong?  How has this experience directed and powered out lives? Can we ever get back to the basics?  Ah, the basics.  I, at least, have gone to great ends in order to have the most confusing choices.  The basics should run our lives and not ruin our lives.  For instance is there anything better than peace?  I mean that inner peace that envelopes every part of our life.  This peace of God that passes all understanding is the best it can get!  What will it take for us to get back to this basic?  Maybe the basics were not given to you?  Perhaps the definition of "basics" just doesn't make sense to you.  If that is true; try on this basic: I need to be able to breathe.  I want to be able to breathe.  The basic premise is our ability to live physically.  We can add in our want and need for water and food.  Clothing is optional.  So are haircuts and makeup.  We need sleep and want to get good nights sleep in order to be recharged.
     I'm out of coffee this morning.  Because it's a want I'll find a way later to get my wanted caffeine fix.  If I don't get coffee I'll develop a headache from caffeine withdrawal.  Don't want that but maybe need that in order to see what is primary or basic in my life.  There are millions of people that don't have the option of coffee or not.  Much less with designer drinks and their additives.  Yet, I'll make a stop on the way to an appointment for a cup of coffee.  I drink mine black.  To what extent will I go to obtain a cup of coffee?  Okay, I won't steal or lie to get a cup of coffee.  I could stop by a tire store where they have free coffee in the waiting room.  It doesn't matter that it's looking and smelling like it's 3 days old! 
    I've been hungry before and have had to go to great lengths in order to get food.  I've gone to the local food banks, even begged a passerby for change for a burger.  I think what bothers me most  is my focus on myself.  There are so many people that would gladly have the food I throw away.  Being so consumed by my want and perceived need, I stop thinking about others and miss opportunity to meet the needs (at least) of others.  Yes, I'm important too.  Yes, I have needs as well as others.  No, I don't need so badly that I cannot take care of those who depend upon me. 
     The bottom line is "wants and needs" are what drive us to God or to self.  There are no other directions we can go.  We are either servants of the most high God who cares for our every need or we are not.  Regardless of where I find myself I have the choices before me all the time.  If I begin the day focusing on me and my wants and needs; I miss the opportunity to see the world from God's view.  He knows what I need and he knows what I want.  He wants and needs me to be his representative to the world.  I need to obey Him.  God bless you and those around you today and everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment