Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Just what is a legacy?

     Some may think the only legacy they will pass on to their family tree is their ethic.  Others may include their accomplishments.  Yet, when we look at leaving a legacy there is vast difference between the Christian and non-Christian.  That difference is also seen in our financial status.  The end message is, just what are you leaving as a memorial to your time on planet earth.  This may be more than you wanted or less than you wanted to pass on.  It may be that you don't want a legacy to be passed on at all.  The legacy is for the future and not the past.  In 10 years down the road (or 15 or 20) what would you like said about your time here on earth?
     He was a good man.  She was a good woman.  Really?  Good at what?  Good with what?  We have this tendency to inflate the worth of the life of the departed.  He was such a good boy.  Yeah, when they weren't busy doing gang related crimes.  She was such a good mother.  You didn't see her drunk every day.  He was such a good father.  Before or after he beat on his wife or children?  They were giving people.  You see, the list goes on and on leaving us to believe whatever others want us to believe. 
     I was in a training session one day learning about intervention with seriously mentally ill people.  The instructor was late (a pet peeve of mine) and when he did arrive shocked me so much that I learned little that day.  He stepped up to the lecturne and said, "You are not nearly as important as you think you are."  What?!  Of course I'm important as I was working with people who were unable to help themselves.  My position as a crisis counselor was essential to the population we served.  Of course I was important!  On the way home alone in my car, I realized the truth of what he had said.  My mind woke up and had a thought.  What would happen if I were killed in an accident on the way home?
     What would my clients do?  They would seek help elsewhere.  What would my wife do?  She would grieve and then most likely remarry.  What would my children do?  They too would go on with life.  Moving on isn't a choice sometimes.  When there is a death things change.  Same with divorce, going to a war zone, or other traumatic event.  My clients would go on and be who they were with what they had.
     So we wrestle with what we leave.  It's not about the bank account, life insurance or even the many possessions we have.  Life can come to an end suddenly.  What would I like my wife, kids, friends to remember me for?  What would you like your wife/husband, kids, and friends to remember about you?  Would they find their lives enriched just because you were a part of their lives?  I would like to leave people in my life remembering all the best and none of the worst.  Yes, that's selfish of me.  I understand that.  We all are selfish in one way or another.  I would like people to remember the good and forget the bad.  Again, my selfishness comes to the surface.
     Here is my answer to our beginning question.  I would like those who interacted with my life to live a full and blessed life.  Their living a full and blessed life is my legacy.  It's what they take with them on a daily basis that creates any legacy at all.  My children living life to the fullest for Jesus would be an incredible legacy!  My friends doing the same would be wonderful.  Moving on with a focus on Jesus is just about as good as it gets.  I say "just about" because that is what I would be doing if I was no longer here on earth.
     Just what is a legacy...for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment