Saturday, September 13, 2014

Justice is over rated...thank God!

     I went to court yesterday to be at the sentencing of the man who committed hit and run on us.  The crime caused both of us injuries.  The judge put a lot of consequences on him as it is her job.  He, to his credit, pled guilty avoiding a trial for all of us.  His attorney was incredibly unbelievable.  There is so much theatrics in court and he didn't miss a beat on defense (or making excuses for his client).  Our justice system is not justice as we would expect it to be.  I thought and asked for forgiveness from God for my own desire for real justice.  When he was asked if he wanted to say anything the first words out of his mouth were "If I have hurt you..."  There was no "If" in what happened then or now.  When people are defensive (and I should know) there is denial and anger.  That's what I felt from him.
     "You know that forgiveness has happened when what your remember no longer bothers you."  I penned that thought almost 30 years ago while working through my issues with a therapist.  So, what happens to us in the meantime?  For beginners, we forget that we are a fallen humanity.  We forget collectively as well as personally.  We forget the daily failings and maybe even take the time to justify our actions and inactions.  There is another effect on us.  We don't remember our actions while at the same time holding others inactions and actions to the strictest model we can think of.  In the process, we lose a part of ourselves in the equation.  We step away from God's servant and become god of our world.
     It's real and it affects you and I.  One more dilemma surfaces during this time when we are playing god.  We forget how fallen we are.  We set both standards in our world.  Strict towards others and with our idea of what punishment we should levy on them.  While at the same time we cheapen grace by not accepting responsibility for our sin.  This is and can't be good for anyone.  When we are living a hypocritical life there is no justice.  I'm guilty.  How about you and I look at the real problem and stop the game?
     The real problem in my world is me.  Should God have wanted to serve me with the justice I deserve, I would be dead.  Many times over!  We've become self serving with the grace that has been granted to us.  Where God "remembers our sin no more." we remember the minute sins of others and desire judgment on them.  Please don't let the lightening strike hit me when he strikes them.  Aren't we something!  I am guilty and do desire the grace of God.  But, do I desire grace as He gives it or grace as my enemy desires? 
     It's important that we face this issue as Christian and non.  Should there be more grace and less judgment, we would become more a vessel for his use.  If we stopped being hypocritical we could become more of the servant God wants us to be.  If we became more available to help others instead of hurt, our world would be more peaceful.  When peace enters into our life and we embrace peace, peace will overflow onto the lives of others.  In the end, we could actually live for God and not me.  I'm reminded that there is no "I" in team.  We are Christian and are not alone.  When you are thinking about justice for others; give peace instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment