Thursday, September 18, 2014

Having a sanctuary or how did you get in my head!?

     How many times have you found yourself singing some ditty from the way back machine and simply cannot get it out of your head.  Then, if you are nice, you pass on the ditty to other unsuspecting people by simply humming the ditty.  Soon everyone is cursing the noise you make and everyone is irritated they can't get rid of the "gift".  We all need to have some place where we can go and truly feel safe from all intrusions.  You with multiple small children should especially have a place where you can be alone.  Been there and done that. 
     Having a sanctuary doesn't mean you are fleeing from something.  Sometimes it's a simple need to get alone and refocus.  Maybe 5 minutes or less.  Other times and situations take us away from whatever it is over a longer period of time.  Back in the early 60's there were some people who simply disappeared only to resurface years later with a new identity and a new life.  This was their way of dealing with life.  They ran away.  Not the best choice.  Desperation drives a lot of the choices we make during our day, month, and years. 
     I cheat.  Not like you might be thinking.  I'm not cheating the IRS or fleeing the law.  I cheat by choosing my sanctuary through a really simple model.  When I am needing some time in my sanctuary I will choose a task/job where I can go and no one will bother me.  Like pulling weeds in my garden or among my landscaping.  No one wants to join me in pulling weeds and just like that I have a sanctuary as well as get the weeds pulled.  Another way I pull off some sanctuary time is my deep and immediate need to visit the local hardware and mega store.  Again, most people don't want to go there so I am left to do as I wish. 
     Different needs come along for men and women alike to get away and find whatever peace there may be in the midst the storm.  Jesus asleep on the boat was rudely awakened by his followers who were chastising him for his lack of concern over their safety.  He told the sea to be still and went back to his sanctuary.  The difference was one had no faith and the other had all faith.  I know you aren't God just as I'm not God. When others can't understand you, God does.  When situations come up where you can't seem to find the answer; God does. 
     The sanctuary you and I need most is time with Jesus.  I'm sure that some of you will simply stop reading right about now because I haven't given the answer that you wanted.  Here we go again!  Needs and wants!  We want to have life easy with no need of decisions or actions on our part.  We want others to do what they need to do so that part of our life is taken care of by others.  What we don't embrace is the idea that Jesus can be our sanctuary.  It is He who knows all of our needs.  He said he would take care of them.  He didn't say the same things about our "wants".
     Separating our needs and wants helps us to put a healthy balance on our lives.  This action of separating our needs from our wants help others as well.  When we have a balance the lack of stress and frustration drops significantly.  When we have a balance we have an obligation to our own mental health to let others know that we have boundaries they need to respect.  We just need the guts to speak and wisdom of what to speak.  Remember we are helping others as well as ourselves to have less stress and a more balanced life in Jesus.
     So, when you go through the day, take it easy.  Remember to breathe and to blink your eyes.  That's how we know you are not dead!  God needs you to take sanctuary breaks so he can speak with you. Let Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment