Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Randomness is awesome!

     Randomness takes very little practice, even less focus and the outcome is usually not what I have expected.  Concrete people are driven crazy by the random guy or gal.  The world is full of events for both categories of people.  My great friend, Steve, texted me last night to let me know a gnat had bitten the dust in his Margarita.  See what I mean!?  My life has been full and overflowing with random moments that somehow translated to some really interesting days.  I know it's hard to believe but I have lots of concrete people in my life as well as random people.  We compliment each other without even knowing it.
     Without awareness at the time, I have passed on the randomness to all of my kids to one degree or another.  They are a creative unpredictable lot.  I love it.  I'm sure that some of you are nodding your head "yes" or "no" right now.  I know.  I know, you love it.  Perhaps you are married to a random person or you have friends who are random.  My wife has so much patience with me and all of my random ways and choices. 
     You go out to see a friend.  On the way you pass a store with fruit on sale.  You stop and buy some with the intention of sharing with your friend.  When you get to their house, you bring up as many of the fruit you think you and your friend will eat.  When they open the door they roll their eyes as you, yet again, have outdone yourself.  Hey, the fruit is great!  So you scrap plans on going to that favorite restaurant and order pizza delivered.  Life is good! 
     Being a random person allows you this privilege of being the one with the vision.  Looking outside work or play you see the possibilities and this often makes you happy.  I'm a concrete person as well but not so much.  I like a clean house and a car full of gas like anyone else (except hoarders).  While others see the random person as dangerous and unpredictable, we do not.  With us you can expect the unexpected to take place.  There was no plan, nothing was talked over and yet you go home with that ugly piece from the garage sale.  There is no end in sight of the pleasures the random person sees as potential.
     Not everyone can be random.  Let's look at one famous person who was and is a random sort of guy.  Jesus was and is random.  Don't believe me?  Look at his choices of disciples!  You can't get more random than this group.  Random?  How about feeding thousands of people with fish and bread for two?  Now who does stuff like this?  Yep, random people do this.  THEN we are told to be like him.  Great news for the random guy or gal.  Predictable behavior is an unknown factor to some extent.  Yet, it's random people who God uses to do the unpredictable.  Though the life of Jesus was foretold in the Old Testament, the means or process of these prophecies are quite random.  Most did not see the means by which the prophecies have been fulfilled. 
     Our lives speed down the road of life when all of a sudden something happens.  You are caught in a situation that demands your attention and action right now!  What do you do?  Someone has told you about Jesus and the need of salvation in your life.  What do you do?  You are asked to believe in the invisible with blind faith.  You are asked to believe in Heaven and Hell as well as eternity.  You are told that you are dead and then made alive.  Yes, God is random with concrete issues. 
     These choices we need to make regarding God require the random thought with the concrete resolve.  You cannot unring the bell.  Once heard you and I are expected to act on new information one way or another.  We can embrace or reject believing in God.  However, once we have heard we have an obligation to make a decision.  There are only two decisions possible.  You can choose Jesus or reject Jesus.  The decision will be delivered in a random sort of way with the answer needing to be concrete.  Believing and receiving Jesus as our Savior is THE single most important decision in your and my life!  Don't hesitate, now is the day of salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment