Monday, June 9, 2014

My brothers keeper.

     It's not even a question.  We are our brothers and sisters keepers.  Often we don't act like we are though.  He/she isn't my problem.  They don't need me.  I'm too busy for anyone else right now.  These are just some of the excuses we come up with to help numb the person we should be.  Quite frankly, there are people who I would not want to be "my keeper" under any circumstances.  I'm sure there are those who think the same of me.  So, what is the reason we don't want or won't give being our brothers and sisters keeper?
     "Back in the day..." is appropriate right now.  No, I'm not going to talk about my past.  I'm just going to talk about how this has broken down so that no one believes or practices being a keeper anymore.  In order to be objective with this subject, we need to be able to have a point of reference for comparison.  I choose my neighborhood.  There are a variety of people on my block that make up a community that has been in various stages of being their brothers and sisters keeper.
     The first example are an elderly (probably about 75) couple who are German (they speak the language fluently.  You can set your clock by when they will walk by my house.  When they do come into view you first notice that they are holding hands.  They have never in the last 8 years walked without holding hands.  The second observation is their frequent talking with each other.  They communicate!  With their free hands they wave to all of the people who know them.  Their example makes them my keepers.  Their commitment to each other and public display of love is a constant reminder that I can do better.
    My next door neighbor to the north of my house is next.  She is a single lady about 65 or 70.  When we first moved in our dogs used to dig under the fence, go through her yard and escape to the neighborhood.  As often as she could she caught our dogs and called us or brought them home.  She knows how important our dogs are to us and is an animal person herself though she only has my dogs when they escape as companions right now.  Her sharing the safety and well being of my pets is her way of being my keeper and the keeper of my dogs.  
     Across the street is an amazing lady of 70 (approximately as she doesn't act like it.).  When we moved into our house she was the first one who came to our door (that same day) with a batch of welcome cookies.  She is one of the most sincere caring and uplifting people that I know.  Every Christmas there is a card in the mail from her.  Every Easter there are Easter eggs hidden in our front yard by her.  Every time we are outside of our houses at the same time she greets me and chats.  Her hospitality is an example to me of what we all should be doing with each other.
     My neighbor to the south is very mechanically inclined.  He has projects he has completed that make the whole neighborhood look better.  He never begins working on his projects until a reasonable hour and quits work at a reasonable hour.  He continually is involved with his nephew and his father including them in the projects.  When he does this he provides an example of quiet servitude to those whom he loves.  He's a neighbor that makes family an important part of his life.  His example of quiet love is a way in which he is my keeper.
     Then their are the couple kitty corner from our house across the street who have an immaculate property.  They provide an example of how we can keep our property beautiful bringing up the value of the neighborhood for everyone else.  Followed by them kitty corner across the street from me are a family who truly are "up front and honest" people.  You always catch them being really real.  They bring an example of living honestly with each other.  
     I could go on and on about the people in my neighborhood.  The real question is whether or not I am being my brothers and sisters keeper.  I'd like to think so.  My tools are community tools borrowed by anyone who desires them.  My help is available as often as I can make it for them whether physically helping or just listening and everything in between.  My vehicles are available when rides are needed.  Our telephone has been a way of their connecting services or relatives when their phones aren't working.  
     Being my brothers and sisters keeper is all about the second commandment.  Do you remember what it says?  The first commandment is for us to love God.  The second commandment is for us to love others as our neighbors.  Being our brothers and sisters keeper is easier than you think and takes less than you think.  The cost is bearable and the resultant fruit is more than anyone can contain.  Yes, we are all to be our brothers and sisters keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment