Tuesday, June 10, 2014

"And miles to go before I sleep" Frost

     I've always loved that phrase but did'nt really know why.  I guess something resonates in me that says it's true.  Frost certainly didn't have any idea of how big that phrase would be when he penned it.  Most creative people don't have that as their focus. 
     The first time I remember using the phrase I was surprised when it came out of my mouth.  Like a sleeping lion it had been laying silently in the grass waiting to pounce upon its prey.  Someone had just been talking about how hard they were finding moving through life.  "And miles to go before I sleep."  The preceding line sets the tone with "But I have promises to keep."
     When we go through our day there are commitments we have that weigh upon us and the time we are allotted.  Often my choice is determined by which event or duty rates most critical.  Some of the lesser choices get filed in the "Do tomorrow." box.  We all know that tomorrow may not come and yet we have promises to keep.
     I remember talking with the calendar manager for a very highly visible and popular minister.  We were discussing the possibility of his speaking where I was a pastor.  I was shocked when I was told that we would be looking at 3 years down the road!  Three years!  I didn't know my schedule 3 weeks down the road!  How many promises did this guy have that covered 3 years?  It still amazes me that people plot out their lives as if they are in charge of them.
     We don't pause in life very much.  That's what Frost was doing in the woods that night.  He paused and reflected.  Even his horse wasn't very keen on breaking up the ordered life.  After all, they were going somewhere, doing something, seeing someone..."But I have promises to keep."  If I had a dollar for every time I have said, "I don't have time for this/that." I would be a very rich man.  I haven't paused very much in most of my life.
     God puts pauses in our life.  Events like the birth of your child ring clear in their saying that at that moment nothing else is important.  It's the going off to Kindergarten, the graduation from high school, the marriage of you child and many other events that cause us to pause.  All to often we discover during the pause that we have missed out on so much over the years.  We even missed some of the moments God wanted us to pause and consider.
     So, I proclaim today National Pause Day.  Put down your cell phones, music players, calendars and any other device that would pull you away from having time to pause.  Take those around you out to lunch and pause to enjoy their each individual self.  Really give them your attention and time.  Sit on the floor and read to your child or put legos together.  Take time to just look into the eyes and heart of your loved one rediscovering why you fell in love with them in the first place. 
     "We have miles to go before we sleep" refers to our death.  "But I have promises to keep" is the burden that puts our lives out of balance.  We have no guarantee that we will be here tomorrow.  We cannot do anything about yesterday.  We need to be careful of what we promise and pause to really feel the importance of the "pause" time in our lives.  After all, it is National Pause Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment