Thursday, June 12, 2014

Be careful of what you ask for!

    The very first thing that comes to my mind is a time when I asked for patience!  You know what happened next.  Trials and tribulations for what seemed days.  But I had only asked for patience for what I was going through and not my whole life.  Sometimes we ask before we think.  Often we ask without consulting God on what he would like for us to be and do.  Why do we do that?  I would suggest we do this because of our selfishness.  We want what we want, when we want it and how we want it.  Did I mention, NOW!
     When I was a very young boy I was way ahead of the style curve.  I asked repeatedly for a Mohawk hair cut until my dad gave me what I wanted.  Immediately afterwards I had much remorse as my new look began to sink in.  Until my hair grew out I made myself very scarce.  Hiding is more of an appropriate description of what I did.  Now at 61 if I were to have a Mohawk, I would be in fashion or at least wouldn't create any scene.  
     Over the years I have grown wiser in my requests but still from time to time ask without thinking, consulting or evaluating what it is I'm asking to happen.  One area that needs more improvement is my category I call:  "Immediate Crisis".  I'm driving along when I notice the gas gauge blinking "low on fuel" at me.  I say an "Immediate Crisis" prayer pledging to God I will be more responsible next time if he can just get me to a gas station.  You know what I do next?  When I approach that first gas station I notice that the price is too high so I make the decision to go on and find a cheaper station!  How crazy is that!  Sometimes we ask for and refuse the answer or the gift.
     My next category is fondly entitled: "for the greater good."  Please make him/her shut up!  Spare all of us this same old story/joke/speech!  Just then you notice that young person scribbling notes hurriedly so that they can get the message/goal or joke.  We may "think" that it would be good for the speaker to shut up but perhaps he/she prayed that the speaker would talk about this subject because their job depended upon it.  My "for the greater good" just was trumped by "immediate crisis."  There may be the feeling that the rest of us "lost" but in reality we all won.  This person's attentiveness just completed the circle of being on the same page.
     No plan would be complete without "do we have to go there?"  requests.  They may look like this:  You (dad/mom/babysitter) are in charge for another 10 minutes and your darling little one makes a funny face and sits very still for a moment.  Yep, dirty diaper time!  And so we ask that this not stink until after someone else has taken care of the situation.  You can also apply this to cleaning the break room, distributing that report for the umpteenth time, or whatever task is ahead of you that you don't want to do.  Maybe if I am late someone else will have already attended to that job/task.  Maybe others will catch on and hold you accountable anyway!  
     James tells us that we should be careful of what we ask for.  Being mindful of the whole picture is imperative.  When we are aware of the world past our own, we can begin to see how this affects that.  Developing sensitivity for the big picture works wonders in pretty much all situations.  Our wants and desires may seem good to us but in reality aren't good for the greater cause.  Thinking we are doing good we actually complicate matters and miss the point.  
     I no longer ask for Mohawk haircuts.  I've been tempted but haven't gone there.  When we examine our world of requests it's important that we learn from the past and grow up.  I no longer ask for patience.  There are enough situations that cause me to grow in that area without my adding to that task!  When listening to others I don't jump right to requesting this or that.  God tells us that he will answer our prayers with "Yes" "No" and "Wait".  No doubt you and I will encounter times when we are looking for the answer to our selfish request and seemingly the answer never comes.  Maybe there is a good reason for that delay or even the "No" answer.
     As you go through your day I pray that you would have God's wishes fulfilled in your life.  Please pray the same for me.  Look at the issue or request and ask if this is my selfishness or selfishlessness.  Prepare to receive answers that are contrary to what you think.  Additionally, understand that having the answer right now might just complicate someone else's life.  Ecclesiastes 3 tells us there is a time for everything.  Take the time and see if now is moment or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment