Friday, May 27, 2016

Backwards thinking isn't productive for Christians

     Thinking that "someone else will do it" is backwards thinking.  Saying, "it's not my calling" is backwards thinking.  Believing "I am to busy to do missions work" is backwards thinking.  Leading others to believe "you can believe however you want" is backwards thinking.  None are productive for the kingdom of God.  None.  We are raised in a Christian community where we grow up with teachers for Sunday school, deacons for church leadership, pastors for preaching and teaching, and on and on.  None of this was instituted by God.  None of it.  We did it.  Yes, the Bible says that some should be designated to do certain jobs.  However, we usually miss the part that says we are all called to do the work of Christ.  That means that we need to be about the business of God instead of dodging the business of God.  You need to know that I've been on both ends of this dilemma.  I was saved on the mission field through the efforts of God through YWAM.  I previously had no religious training so wasn't predisposed to acting or believing in any particular denominational way.  Blank slate.  When I went through my time of contemplation I read the Bible.  When I became a believer I chose to believe what it said.  When I went to training with YWAM they taught the Bible.  I didn't know anything about church structure or denominational thinking until I returned to the US from Europe. 
     Boy was I surprised!  People didn't know what the baptism of the Holy Spirit was.  Christians didn't talk to non-believers about their faith.  Believers stood by and did nothing for the orphan and widow.  There were "rules" for almost everything in conjunction with being a good __________.  Insert most any denomination and you will find what Hal Lindsay calls "doctrines of demons."  Whenever mankind makes rules it's not to further the kingdom of God; it's to regulate their understanding of the kingdom of God.  Lay hands on people and believe in healing?  Didn't happen.  Revival in churches resulted in little or nothing.  What was going on?  I was bothered by this and still am.  For a season I stopped being what I was when I was first saved.  I left my first love and was content to do nothing, say nothing and engage in whatever sin fancied my lifestyle.  Maybe your journey has taken you here as well.  Eventually I returned to be a more involved believer.  I still go to church but my expectations aren't based on the church.  I still listen to the sermons but I'm not necessarily swayed by the preacher.  I still engage with Christians but have not held them to greater accountability.  You are probably thinking, "what good is this guy?"  Here's where the backwards thinking comes back into the picture. 
     When I was first saved I lived my life for Jesus.  Period.  I ate, drank and breathed the Bible and Jesus crucified and risen with the saving blood of Jesus covering my sins.  God used me in many ways and taught me to look to and listen to his Word, his Son and the Holy Spirit.  I became a discipleship teacher and taught people what God had taught me.  I became a pastor and led a Christian church for a time.  Then I became a Christian counselor and worked with people and their problems.  Haven't we all got enough problems!  Then I crashed and burned.  Disabled, paraplegic for a week after surgery (accidently dropped by surgery staff).  Reality was not what I liked.  But it took time for me to see that God could and would use all of me for His purpose.  Being able to share my experiences in very real manner here on this blog.  Bringing Jesus and my story to Facebook and Patientslikeme.com.  There are many venues where forward thinking is where we need to be.  Thinking what has happened won't.  Believing that you can't will only give you an excuse for selfishness.  Acting like having the outward appearances doesn't cut it. 
     Paul said, "forgetting what is behind me I press forward..."  The disciples followed Jesus never looking back.  The saints since then have all preached Jesus and Him crucified and risen without any backwards thinking.  I plant my garden expecting the carrots, beets and other vegetables to grow.  I don't expect them to remain seeds.  I prune my orchard with the expectation  that the crop of fruit will increase and get better. What is it you expect from what you think, say and do?  Do you expect to see Jesus glorified through those thoughts, statements and actions?  If you don't you are locked in backwards thinking.  Jesus needs forward thinkers.  "Put your hands to the plow and don't look back"  It's your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment