Tuesday, June 30, 2015

So what is a guy supposed to do?

     With so many choices before us every day we are bound to find ourselves in the quandary of what are we supposed to do.  Which choice will be the best for the situation and still keep us in the right space with God?  This is not especially my forte.  I tend to make choices based on what I want instead of what I need.  Do you ever feel this way?  Come on, I know I'm not the only one out there that has this struggle with doing right.  A guy like you and I need to understand that life isn't about us.  Life is about what we allow to flow in and through us.  Choices.  That's the crux of the matter.  Understanding and recognizing the choices before we act keeps us closer to what we were meant to be both for God as well as for others.  Part of my problem is that when I make a bad choice I have the tendency to throw the baby out with the bath water.  Telling myself that I blew it so I might just as well blow the rest of my choices for the day as well.
     There is a difference between what we are "supposed to do" versus what we simply are "to do."  Yoda and his wisdom come to mind.  Not to "try" but to "do".  Our frame of mind over the eons has taught us that we "can't" just do and we might as well not have that standard.  However, should we examine the truth of our living for and with Jesus we know that we are asked to do and not just supposed to do.  It's been said that the road to hell has been paved with good intentions.  That is what "supposed to do" is; good intentions.  I have a list of "good intentions" detailing projects that are in three categories.  First category is going to be done...sometime.  The second category is partly done and will be done...sometime.  The third category shows my intention to do something...but probably won't do.  Over the years I've been able to accomplish a lot by doing.  I can't say the same for that which I was supposed to be doing. 
     When Jesus walked amongst us he preformed miracles and preached for the people to repent.  Sometimes I think it's a miracle for me to finish a project.  Not just finish the project but doing so in such a way that life is better because of finishing the project.  When I am in "supposed to do" mode, I don't have the better life.  Letting others down is part of the "supposed to do" scenario.  People have expectations on us.  Then when we don't meet those expectations we back away even further and won't commit to doing/being as much as we are capable of.  That reminds me of Moses and the burning bush.  I admire God for his patience in answering Moses  excuses for not just "doing" what he was instructed to do.  Moses telling God what he "can't do" is ludicrous.  Even as a believer I find it difficult to always do what God wants me to do.  Moses provides a role model for us in the positive in that he did what he was supposed to do.  He also provides a role model for best intentions and what he was supposed to be doing. 
     The same can be said about David, Saul, the Apostles, and other important figures in the Bible.  They all knew what they were supposed to do just like you and I.  They also knew failure to do as a central part of their lives.  Todays challenge for me is to go forth and "do".  Should I accept the truth that we are to be doers of the Word I won't find my self wondering what I'm supposed to be doing.  People can pray for me better if I do.  People can expect more from me if I do.  Friends and family will be more endeared to me if I do.  My challenge today is to just "do".  It's your challenge as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment